Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stolen catalytic converter, cat delete?

Jureb

I had my cat stolen today on my 1KD-FTV j95. It's really difficult to find an aftermarket one, in fact I've only managed to find 1 online from "JMJ" brand which I've never heard of before. A local shop has universal cats for about the same price (170ish €) but their quality is doubtable. Toyota dealership told me they don't supply these cats anymore so I'm kind of stuck with an aftermarket one.

I'm thinking of going to the local exhaust shop to get a pipe installed without a cat and try to pass the MOT. Can anyone confirm they've deleted a cat on 1KD-FTV j95 and passed MOT? Early 1KD-FTVs were sold without a cat and maybe it would be possible. Our EU emissions regulations are pretty strict but one can hope :tearsofjoy:. I also don't want to get my cat stolen like in a week again... It seems very popular these days.

I would swap the whole lot trusting 90 series spec to be so random that they can't know if it should have a cat or not .

Maybe take it to a different garage than your usual .

My 99 Colorado 1KZ-TE doesn't have a CAT think only the later D4D has one.

My 99 Colorado 1KZ-TE doesn't have a CAT think only the later D4D has one.
Yes, I've a 2002 D4D and it ""had"" one :). I'm getting a pipe installed tomorrow instead of a cat at the shop if they don't offer me a better solution.

1677687308570.png

Mid section protective plate? Anything to deter/delay so they'll move onto something else.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mid section protective plate? Anything to deter/delay so they'll move onto something else.
I put something like that on a Prius I had 18 months ago. 3mm steel plate bolted to the subframes.

@karl2000 it has to be removable but sufficient to cause enough delay that its a deterrent. No different to security lockers on wheels really.

Security bolts then, rather than hex that can be silently undone with a spanner before the cordless angle grinder is fired up.

A pipe cutter , grinder or recip saw they cut the pipe to and from the cat so make it obvious the cat will not come out once the pipes are cut .

They don't bring a toolbox and rely on speed of removal to get away with it .

Be kind of poetic to castrate the scum with their own tool .

No need for a tool box to remove one of those, I think it would make a lot of noise trying to bash the cat off with it.

If you went the removal route then you can get a new computer from an Aussie scrapyard - all 90 series sold here don't have catalytic converters as they were only required for off road vehicles in 2006 onwards!

My V6 doesn't even have oxygen sensors, you adjust the mixture with a knob in the engine bay.

If you went the removal route then you can get a new computer from an Aussie scrapyard - all 90 series sold here don't have catalytic converters as they were only required for off road vehicles in 2006 onwards!

My V6 doesn't even have oxygen sensors, you adjust the mixture with a knob in the engine bay.
Nice, I wish they didn't install cats in EU 90 series. Mine is a diesel so no O2 sensors and I don't think I need a new computer? I just drove it home and the engine breathes lovely :hearteyes:. I'm still planning on getting a cat, but they're hard to find. I think I will take my time and find it until the MOT, meanwhile I can drive - this is my daily car and I use it to get to work.

Attachments

• 20230303_125331.jpg
    20230303_125331.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 16
Makes you wonder who paid who to make cats law when you consider Russia mines more platinum , palladium and rhodium than anyone else .

Though i suppose more of it comes from Chinese owned vast mines all around the word .

Save the planet indeed :icon-rolleyes:

Back