Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How about a Scottish safari?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Guys, been chatting to Nick at Troop Campers.com up in Glenluce about the potential to perhaps go North for once. Now, this is only a scoping exercise at the moment but Nick has indicated that he'd be happy to host something (again just an outline at present). Firstly we'd need an idea and secondly some interest. Nick doesn't have an off road track and of course there aren't really any green lanes up there. So we could all go up there park in a field and talk boll***s for a weekend, but with the price of derv that's an expensive chat. Or we could have a safari (like an overland trip for pussies) where we go through the lakes (lanes), into Scotland, stay with Nick, get bitten by Midges, move up the West coast to Ayr, Oban (visit a distillery) or somewhere then down the East coast via Northumberland? I dunno, just shooting some ideas here. Make a nice holiday though. Take some planning of course and I am not proposing two week's worth, maybe 5 days over a long weekend like a Bank Hol

So, ideas on a post card please. No particular time line here, we have to come up with an idea first. Something that people would want to do. If you live over the border and you can think of something then please speak up. I think a convoy of Cruisers sweeping through the Scottish countryside would be a sight to behold.

So, all (sensible) thoughts please on this as a proposition. Nick says that he could arrange toilets and spring water if needed although there is plenty of wilderness :shock:

We don't have to stop off at Troop Campers - it's not a compulsory step, but Nick has made us an offer, which is nice of him.

I can't take you all deer stalking though, before you ask

Chris

I would be interested Chris, having no idea where to go in Scotland has kept me away :) Don't know how I'd fit it in this year but I thought I'd at least show some interest :thumbup:

I would be happy to join in with the adventure too although it means me heading south and not north :lol: :thumbup:

This sounds interesting Chris :cool:

No green lanes though? Wassat all about?? Do we just drive through the fields?

Thanks guys, I think that we need then, to see what interest there is as we go along and what the most popular theme would be. Scotland like many parts of the British Isles is utterly beautiful and the drive up the West Coast (yes, and down it!) is very picturesque. So just the drive is actually worth it with camps here and there to sample local delicacies etc. For me, even at current fuel prices, a tour like that would be cheaper than a holiday away for a family of 4. Just think that without any particular attractions or events, people might see it as just burning rubber when they could turn South, cross the pond, get cheap(er) fuel and better weather.

I shall keep thinking

Gav, for fields, read 'bogs'

Chris

Currently I am interested are we talking about the royal wedding weekend?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Damn good idea Rob!!!

Apparently we are all really excited about this. Must mean the 'Royal we'

C

Yes, I could be in depending on dates :thumbup: Aren't school holidays holidays towards the 2nd half of April - for those of us hauling along kids, that might be a good time...

Good suggestion, Chris!

west coast worth a visit - Glencoe, Applecross (i went up a interesting wee track once).

there is a newish pay & play place at Inverness
http://www.experience4x4.com/

no greenlanes though....

the only places i offroad are farmland i shoot on, and pay and play (but not done that in 3yrs)

Corrieyarrick pass was once a good rough track, but its got too rough and closed now...

might come along for a couple days with you - depends on the skiing conditions though - ski season lasts until may usually

Yes, between Newton Stewart and Stranraer. On the road down to Auchenmalg on the coast.

C

Nice area, once a date is put forward I may able to take this oppurtuinity to meet some of you Guys & give my project a shake down..

Edit, because I can...

I'd be interested. Was down Hexham way this last weekend and it looks really nice - must be some lanes?, and I'd be keen to do the Lakes again. Couple of pay n play sites near Edi, but the ROW rules are all weird up here so no proper lanes ...

Ok guys - sorry to bring you back to the brief, but we need to establish WHAT we do, HOW MUCH interest there'd be and THEN when we might do it. We can't sign up to something that we haven't agreed yet. Date wise a long Bank Hol weekend would be good as it means using less annual leave. That narrows dates a little, naturally. If we just drive around looking out of the window I might as well come in the Verso, so really as Gary suggests, there needs to be some lanes maybe. Or some sort of specific challenge / purpose.

Clearly there are some people up for 'it' whatever 'it' is. That's great, but we need to work on that bit.

It's ideas that I am after really. I go up there to shoot, so for me a trip to Scotland is a regular thing with a purpose. But I am not trusting you lot with rifles. We do have some very tricky terrain up there. I mean tricky on a Rubie scale as far as traversing it is concerned and it would be awesome to just see how far we could get a vehicle. But I don't see the farmer going for that.

Chris

Well I have not done any lanes on the lakes so i vote to include that. I don't have any bright ideas on what we could do in Scotland...

The Scots don't either, Rob, usually :)

Bear in mind that bank weekends per se don't exist here either. Except maybe 29 April, which is too close to Lincomb as well really.

I'd be keen for Easter, whenever that is, with a bumble through the Lakes then up the West Coast perhaps, and we can see if there's anything we can arrange here?

Been suggested already but Apple Cross road is a good call. I believe there is also a good camp site in the area that you can hire out teepees or huts or something. I will make some enquiries if there is any interest.

EDIT: This is the place http://www.applecross.uk.com/campsite/wigwams.htm

would be interested in this if it fits win with work and family comittments.

cheers Gary

Just seen this.. and am interested. After my last trip round the western highlands, which was also my first time across the border, I'm itching (not just from the midge bites) to see more of it ;)

Back