Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How best to protect my undercarriage?

warrenpfo

Was wondering what the options are for undercarriage armour/protection. What I am looking for is a good trade off between weight and protection and easy of access for servicing.
I plan on raising the 100 next year by no more than 2” and will upgrade the suspension and add a diff drop so need to make sure that what ever I fit does not affect the raise not that it should.
If I had the tools I would look into making it myself as I am sure I have the skills but not having a proper workshop means its an order item.

The question is really what are you wanting to protect against? IIRC you want an urban cruiser cum overlander? I wouldn't think much, if any, underbody protection is essential. Does the 100 have any covering underneath, even plastic? If so, then this is probably ample as it's nice and light and you're only looking for a guard to deflect stones and sticks chucked up by the wheels. It would not protect against big hits from proper rocks though..

If you're making a rockcrawler, then some heavy duty 6mm-plus bashplates would be worthwhile. But the weight penalty for an overlander will be significant as you'd be adding a lot of weight.

Have you had a look at what the Yanks have done on IH8MUD? There are a lot more modded 100s in the US than here, so maybe get some ideas there.

Sorry not to be of more direct help - just offering my 2c :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reply, i am not planning on doing any rock crawling if I can help it but just don’t want to do any damage. If its only recommended for serious stuff then I am happy to leave it off and stick with the "plastic" I have underneath at the moment.

Would a sump guard not be advisable?

The stock front guard on my 120 took a beating in a Wales and various lanes and P&P days and held up ok. It was scratched and dented badly but not that deformed. No doubt though, as Andrew said, if you going down a road on a trip and whack a rock or "fall" on a rock then the 6mm ASFIR plates would be better suited.

I've since changed my standard bash plate to a front and gearbox ASFIR 6mm plate. The biggest addition it gives is to the gearbox as that was exposed with only a small plate over the centre diff and actuator.

I think it has also made me a bit less "I might damage something if I try this". That is both a good and a bad thing....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back