Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Protective plastic dirt trim covers - alternatives?

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
Like in the picture, all these bits of plastic covers are disintergrated on my 120, I'd say they're expensive from Toyota and possibly even hard to find the part numbers for or locate them in parts diagrams. Plus I've spent enough, don't want to buy anymore Toyota parts for a while :)

Has any members here come up with a clever alternative material or some substitute item to just use in their place. It's not the arch liners, it's the bits of protection cover within the arch and the engine, etc,, I'm thinking a bit of lead flashing could even be attached in their place. Just asking in case some clever member has a better practical and easier accessible idea.

IMG-7923.jpg

Try 5388635020

My old original lasted for more than 13 years,so i am happy with the quality.
There are some aftermarket ones also

Toyota call them splash guards, but don't stop a lot of splashes to starter motor or alternator in deep puddles.
I used a sheet of EPDM black rubber, I think 2mm thick, made cardboard templates, shape to suit, but much bigger/longer than originals, cut the EPDM to suit, and extra holes to accommodate where needed, and pretty much covered all the gap there both sides.
I used fir tree fixings on all, appropriate diameter for my holes - much cheaper than Toyota poncy things
The EPDM is flexible without being floppy, waterproof, oil/diesel proof, uv proof, in fact pretty much most things proof.

Toyota call them splash guards, but don't stop a lot of splashes to starter motor or alternator in deep puddles.
I used a sheet of EPDM black rubber, I think 2mm thick, made cardboard templates, shape to suit, but much bigger/longer than originals, cut the EPDM to suit, and extra holes to accommodate where needed, and pretty much covered all the gap there both sides.
I used fir tree fixings on all, appropriate diameter for my holes - much cheaper than Toyota poncy things
The EPDM is flexible without being floppy, waterproof, oil/diesel proof, uv proof, in fact pretty much most things proof.

Good man, I knew there'd be something alternative, I just couldn't think what. I'll look up a roll of that EPDM and see what I can get. Toyota were a bit scabby with the bits they used, as you say, the orig doesn't even cover the whole of the gap.

@ Tractionman - I'm actually finding it difficult to find this EPDM stuff, you'd hardly have a link or a place in Ireland to purchase it from?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi mate, surprised you can't find it - it's used a lot on flat roofs amongst other things.
Obviously you don't want a bloody great roll or the foam back or self adhesive stuff.
I got mine from Camthorne Industrial Supplies, (ebay) over here in Stoke on Trent, various sizes and thicknesses in black.
I had a sheet 1000mm x 500mm @ £20, with larger templates than original made and careful positioning/cutting (with large scissors) I got both sides from the sheet.

Back