Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How do you undo these pipe fittings?

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Bit of a spam post, to compliment the same question on the 120 forum. But I think I recall these little fellas on my 90. Any idea how to undo them?

P1040247.JPG

Grinder or hacksaw.
Those are crimped on at the factory with a very big press.
Once you cut the metal sleeve they will separate but you will need to be able to rejoin them.

air-con or oil pipe fittings? Oil cooler pipe - hacksaw off, swage a flare on the end and just use a hose clip and some suitable pipe. Air con: leave well alone

air-con or oil pipe fittings? Oil cooler pipe - hacksaw off, swage a flare on the end and just use a hose clip and some suitable pipe. Air con: leave well alone

Power steering. I shall look at every option for not touching them then!

Why do you need to undo a PS join?

To remove the rack. Although given what has been said about these joints I suspect (hope) I'm looking at the wrong bit based on the sketchy diagram in the workshop manual. I'm doing a 120 rack, not a 90 rack.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would be quite surprised if you needed to break a fixed union like that, to remove the rack. But I haven't seen a 120 rack...

Ahh, you'll be needing to undo a banjo bolt on the rack itself - look at where the hose joins to the rack, there should be a large (21mm?) hex-headed bolt, undo that and you'll see the bolt is hollow with some piercings. This goes through a donut shaped fitting on the other end of the flexi (the "Banjo") which has a groove allowing oil to flow into the bolt and on, into the rack.

Ok, just looked at the diagrams, it shows a banjo bolt on the pump side, but it's another sort of fixing at the rack end, looks like it just unscrews from the rack, but I've no workshop manual to refer to. The other side of it's low pressure (high pressure between pump and rack, then low pressure back to the reservoir) and it's just got hose clamps in place

Back