Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How harsh is the Australian outback? (OMU shocks)

24Seven

Not very so it seems :mrgreen:

Top mount has sheared off, lucky it the lodged itself here and I did not even notice any difference.

shock.jpg

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 111
is that an ABS sensor wire it's cut through?

Jon Wildsmith said:
is that an ABS sensor wire it's cut through?

Yes, I'm hoping I can rewire that or I'm guessing I will need a new wheel sensor as well.

Think I may try those new(ish) OMU Nitrocharger Sport shocks if there not to expensive.

24Seven said:
Yes, I'm hoping I can rewire that or I'm guessing I will need a new wheel sensor as well.
There shouldn't be anything electricaly special about the wire (I've repaired a few ABS wires now), it just usually has a thick sheath for mechanical protection. Try and put heat shrink over the joints and then wrap it all in self amalgamating tape to really seal it up and avoid small current leakages at a later date would be my advice.

Was an ABS malfunction how you noticed the broken shocker? :shock:

Yes the ABS light came on in the Western Sahara maybe 2.5K miles ago, so the shock either broke at that moment or a little time before, I'm really pleased I did not know because I would have been very worried :mrgreen:

My LC was not over weight, in fact 200KG at least under the GVW (I put it on way bridge so I know)

Looking back I was thinking the back seemed under sprung at that time, which I still think it is.
I bought them for a soft ride in mind for green laning in the UK with a light load, so the shocks and springs are the softest OMU's

The shocks are around 18,000 miles / 3 years old.

I came home and went straight back to work and today was the first time I really looked around the LC.

EDIT thanks for the advise about the wiring.

That is lucky - lucky it didn't do any major damage and lucky your trip wasn't spoilt by it :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
That is lucky - lucky it didn't do any major damage and lucky your trip wasn't spoilt by it :)

I did think it was time for a very good look this year of the suspension and joints (front joints) but I never thought an OMU shock would break after only say 5K miles of hard use, something I would never of thought of changing for PM after so little time, maybe I was just unlucky.

It might be that the top bush's were too stiff or that the nut was done up too tight which puts a lot of extra stress on the pin.

Jon Wildsmith said:
It might be that the top bush's were too stiff or that the nut was done up too tight which puts a lot of extra stress on the pin.

Could be, it's a very hard location to get a socket / spanner on, I will have a good look at the break point with the grammar school boy at work :mrgreen: when I get it off and see what he thinks.

I did do the same apprenticeship as Ross Brawn don't you know I don't normally over tighten nuts(my claim to fame) :mrgreen:

It would be great if you posted a close up pic of the break surface. Would be interesting to see if it was a fatigue failure (which would be of great interest to OME especially after such little use) or an overload failure. Even if it was an an overload failure it would be interesting to see if it was a purely brittle fracture or ductile fracture.

Either way I would be in contact with OME to see what they think and if find out if their warranty is valid out here.

I will take some photos although It will not be for a couple of weeks or so before I gather the parts together for the repair. I'm not driving it atm and I don't want to start the job unless I can finish quickly.

Phoned TBR today but they are moving location so would rather I order the shocks Monday, lucky I'm not in a great rush.

Oddly phoned TBR again and the phone was answered under another company name and I was given a moblie phone number to call, does not sound very good to me :?

When I emailed them a few weeks back to order suspension kit, i addressed the email to a chap who worked there and i had been in contact with before.
when i got a reply, they said the guy i addressed the email to wasn't working there anymore, due to them shortly moving office location and the chap couldnt move

Hi,Yes TBR are moving to east midlands, and Trevor who was with them in Harwich isnt moving with them.
Another option is speak to Chris Hill, at Devon 4x4, they can sort you out. Mention Tony at Lincomb put you in touch, might get a bit off!! maybe.

Cheers,Tony.

Thanks Tony, I have them on order from TBR now lead time around two weeks.

I went for the new "sport" model although I'm not sure I have not just fallen for marketing :mrgreen:

From what I have read in Oz 4x4 mag, they are improved. hope they serve you well.

Cheers Tony.

The New OME Nitrocharger Turbo Nutter Sport Heavy Duty Rear Shock OME part number 60027 are now fitted with LC 80 front spring on the rear.

The LC 80 springs resisted being fitted for a while but in the end gave in :mrgreen:

The rear has lifted 60mm and is now 30mm higher than the front, with a light load.

I have not really had time for a play, but it's noticeably firmer I really need to put a few hundred Kg's in the truck for proper test.

Thanks very much Andrew Prince for the springs and Lorin for delivery. :)

You're welcome, Matt! ;) Hope the do the job you want them to! I'm guessing the front end of a diesel 80 is equivalent to the rear end of a 90 with a BIG load - so I doubt you'll overload the rear too easily!

Just posted on your other thread asking how they were going!

Back