Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How long can you drive for?

Best (worst??) so far is from somewhere near Lyon to Calais for ferry the Dover to Edinburgh with pit-stops only. Left Lyon at 09:00, got to Edinburgh 05:00 the next day.

Also did Cape Town to Maun via Johannesburg (2200km plus) in a fully loaded 80 with full roof-rack and safari trailer in a little over 40 hours, again with little more than pit stops and one 5-hour sleep. I certainly wouldn't contemplate that again, ever!! The big push was to get to the border before it closed, and then park up away from the massive trucks.

You don't really want to drive in Botswana at night, if you can help it. Donkeys love the heat radiating from tar roads at night, and always seem to stand with their butt facing on-coming vehicles :-(. Oops!

I do about 2000 miles a week in the lorry. But then again I am use to it. On monday I am heading up to the Isle of Jura, it is a 4 day trip in the lorry.

I have just done Genoa to England in one hit,

My track log shows I left Genoa 7.31pm, drove through the night via the alps , all Italian & French motorways and arrived at Euro Tunnel Calais at 8.04am.

GPS showed the distance actually covered as 1207 k's in 12.5 hours, had about 4 or 5 short stops for coffee & a pee etc at service areas

Then another 140k's to my front door, total in one day 1347k's

Very tiring at night just looking at those white lines, & i certainly wouldnt want to do that every day!!

Andy

Thats impressive.

60 mph average through the night, so actually I guess you were holding a steady 70 mph / 120 km/h for eternity to get that average.

Gra.

Thats right Graham, although it was nearer a steady 130kph,

Hardly any traffic, a really really boring drive, nothing to see but white lines, I was glad when it started to get light!

Andy

Back