Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

how !long did it take to find your lc

jbecks

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I'm going to buy a hdj100 after I have moved house in the sub 10k price range, but it appears that a lot of them look pretty tired that the dealers are selling, whilst demanding a premium for them still. I'm thinking if I'm going to get a well worn one, I may as well buy one that has engine problems or just get one from the auction, its where my 90 came from.

Still my obsession for a 100 grows and my unfortantly my house move is a priority :( :)

It took about 6 months to find mine. And at this age it's what will go wrong and what's worn that's the problem.
Check the ahc works as that's been the weak point on mine. The engines and gearboxes are pretty bullet proof.

You may also want to check for corrosion - as Bob (Murphy) seems to be finding out with his "new" 100; the body is pristine but he's having issues with corroded underbody parts. See his thread about leaking fuel tank.

I suppose it goes with the territory, when you're buying a 10+ year old 4X4, even if it's a Toyota Landcruiser!

I spent a few weeks looking at adverts to see what the prices were like. My 1998 '95' is starting to fall apart and I was wanting a 3.5 ton towing limit.

I ended-up looking at 2001/02 HDJ100 models with the 1HD-FTE 4.2 litre motors, prices ranged from around £8,000 to one with 86,000 miles on the clock up in Stonehaven for £15,000 :shock:.

I found a nice looking 2001 100 VX with 121,000 miles on the clock in Edinburgh and went to look. It was in lovely condition on top and inside but the underside had a fair amount of rust - it had come from Yorkshire.

I paid £8,750 for it.

Then started tackling the problems . . .

Rear disk calipers seized solid with one mounting bolt stripped and the wrong bolt forced in, disks shot, handbrake rusted solid, spare wheel useless. Naturally the Dealer supplied it with a new MOT :eusa-whistle:.

I sorted the brakes, which wasn't difficult. I then bought five wheels from a breaker, had them powder coated and put 5 x BFG A/T 275/70R16s on them. That little exercise cost £1,600. The upside is that I have five wheels and four good road tires in store. I'll get the wheels powder coated and get a fifth tyre. Maybe I'll then sell the set.

About three weeks after I filled the tank with diesel the tank started leaking. I currently have it all stripped out, a new tank waiting to go in and have made a new tank cradle from fibreglass as steel ones are not currently available from Mr T. Over £1,000 for that lot :icon-rolleyes:. I'm currently waiting for a few tank fittings from Simon Holton at Steven Eagell Toyota in Aylesbury.

The only thing that doesn't work on the car is the rear diff lock. I'll have to remove it and sort it but its not a priority at the moment.

One other problem is the rear brake dust shields that carry the handbrake return springs. They are rusted-out but are part of the brake caliper mounting assembly and can't be replaced separately as they can on the 90-Series. ToyoDIY show them at Euro 400+ per side and the half shafts have to be withdrawn to fit them. I have fitted a re-inforcing plate to the offside but its lightly rubbing the back of the disk. I don't think I can live with it the way it is so will have to bite the bullet.

The ARB bushes and drop links need doing as well. Not difficult once I've got the seized bolts out . . :eusa-whistle:.

The biggest problem for me is that the truck is the most disappointing thing I have ever driven and I can't believe its running right. Its so slow compared to the '95' and just doesn't seem to want to get going. There is noise but seemingly little drive to the wheels. It gets there eventually but forget any thoughts of overtaking anything.

Its an Auto - which I hate :icon-evil:.

I'm thinking . . Torque converter ?? . . Turbo ?? . . EGR Valve stuck open ???

I have replaced all the fluids and filters (did the Autobox twice) and I'll give it a bit more use and hopefully grow to love it. Its a cracking-looking car and a great thing to sit in - if only it would move a bit quicker. If I put my foot down very little happens its not so much "fly by wire" as "fly by pigeon post" :lol:.

So the moral of my story is - go and try a few before you buy one, preferably borrow a well-sorted example from someone rather than one that's for sale, then you'll know what to look for :thumbup:.

Bob.

how much roomier inside are they over the 90s? do you think yours has been used alot for towing? it sounds like you have been quite unlucky in your 100 :( was your 90 a auto too? as the amazon should be a little bit quicker :D

Its a case of finding the "right one" . When I bought my 1st 80 I looked at 30 ( and they were a current model then) before I bought the one I did and I kept it 16 years. My 100 series was the 1st I looked at as it ticked all the right boxes so you just can't say a hard and fast rule.
If you get a GX then they don't usually have AHC.

Get all the advice you can off the forum and take a 100 series owner with you if you can.

Andy

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
how much roomier inside are they over the 90s? do you think yours has been used alot for towing? it sounds like you have been quite unlucky in your 100 :( was your 90 a auto too? as the amazon should be a little bit quicker :D
The 100's are massive inside compared with a 90, and smoother, they really are a "Luxo barge" I find my 03 one really quite surprisingly quick as the engine spins up in a smooth fashion and the 5 speed auto ( which is infinitely more desirable) changes seamlessly.
A mate of mine ( on this forum) looked at loads of 100's to replace his green 80. He ended up eventually with a black 98 VX, its remarkable in condition both on top and underneath with I think 112k miles with one owner wheras a lot newer ones he viewed were real sheds. In condition it blinds my 03 plate one.
It just goes to show good ones are out there its just finding them.
Good luck.

Andy

The 100's are massive inside compared with a 90, and smoother, they really are a "Luxo barge" I find my 03 one really quite surprisingly quick as the engine spins up in a smooth fashion and the 5 speed auto ( which is infinitely more desirable) changes seamlessly.
A mate of mine ( on this forum) looked at loads of 100's to replace his green 80. He ended up eventually with a black 98 VX, its remarkable in condition both on top and underneath with I think 112k miles with one owner wheras a lot newer ones he viewed were real sheds. In condition it blinds my 03 plate one.
It just goes to show good ones are out there its just finding them.
Good luck.

Andy

OK then, here's a question - would you prefer an "OK" condition 5 speeder or a "very good" 4 speed?

My next LC will be a 100 but I still can't find any (valid) reasons to chop in the 90. Actually considering spending a couple of £k sorting out rust protection, suspension bushes, exhaust leak and various (small) issues to get it really tip top again.

The Toyota Landcruiser LC100 is a cracking bit of kit. Period! Mine is 14 years old and that means it came with problems, the latest being 14 C02 sensors finally giving up the ghost. The trick is to find a vehicle which YOU are able to bring back to a working baseline without rinsing your wallet in a total rebuild. Before we parted with money, we commissioned an independent engineers report and most of what we got back was cosmetic. In the three years that we've had it, we have rebuilt the starter motor, sorted the AHC by upgrading the suspension spheres (for less than £500), resprayed a couple of body panels including doing a major repair on the upper tailgate which had badly rusted and adjusted a seized handbrake cable. Most of the money spent, went on upgrades especially the LPG conversion and today fitting a new set of 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 boots. I now cannot imagine driving any other car than a LC100 (including the LC200). My Hanna, always manages to put a smile on my face.....Bless her!

OK then, here's a question - would you prefer an "OK" condition 5 speeder or a "very good" 4 speed?.

The five speed version comes with other upgrades as well to consider but to answer the question there would have to be a massive difference in condition for me to choose a 4 speed over a 5. My mates (Scott) Hundy and mine cost about the same, I wish mine was in his condition but then it wouldn't have cost the same if it was. Mine runs so well at double the mileage of his so I wouldn't swap even if he threw a gold pig in with the deal.

Andy

Lucked into it - the right one came along at the right time with the right bits on it. Should be a hell of a catch for the next owner too.

My 1998 (R-reg) '95' is a manual and is much livelier than the 100, put your foot down a bit and it reacts instantly. It is, of course, running at 1,000 rpm higher and is almost a ton lighter than the 100.

The 100 is larger all round with more boot space and rear passenger room. The third row of seats comprise two proper seats that an adult could do a long journey in. The '95' has smaller seats with three seating positions. I have carried one adult in the third row and he didn't complain, I wouldn't want to try and fit three in there.

Still larger than our 13-plate Ford C-MAX Grand. It has seven seats but three of them are really only for children (its the 'Grandchild Tug' :lol:).

I bought the '95' in 2008 with 119,000 miles on it and paid £3,750 for it. It had far more wrong with it than the 100 I just bought and to date has cost me (including purchase price, tax, Insurance & servicing) £15,000. I have replaced loads of parts. I am not too worried about the 100 as its in far better condition inside and just about everything works. I'll sort the 'niggles' but I don't have any really major problems to sort out (until the AHC fails :eusa-whistle:).

My disappointment is with my expectation as I hadn't even travelled in a 100 before I bought it. I may have to get used to giving it far more boot and hold it in the gears more than I'm used to in order to keep it moving. At the moment it seems to change up at around 1,700 rpm and even at motorway speeds doesn't get much above 2,000 rpm. Its a three-ton behemoth and I shouldn't expect it to fly :lol:.

The 100 came with a tow ball (now replaced by a four bolt, 5-ton combination hitch) but I don't think its been used for heavy towing. The control arm rubbers don't look bad - just old. It seems to have been a much-loved family car as its been well looked after inside and out (polished on Sundays probably) but rather ignored underneath.

The advice still stands - don't do what I did, try a few so that you know what you're looking at. To be honest, though, if a 2.8 ton towing limit is enough for you and you don't need to carry seven people, a decent 90 or 120 with a D-4D motor will probably do all you need and be more fun to drive than a 4.2 litre diesel lump.

Good luck.

Bob.

I would very much like an 80 and there's nothing stopping me from getting one , but every time i see one that interests me i ask myself - what for ? and reality sets in , fact is the 80 is more than i need . Occasionally i wish my truck was a bit bigger but 99% of the time its exactly what i need and i'm happy with it and because im happy with it repairs and maintenance don't hurt as much as they might .
So my advice jbecks would be to question your motives before buying the 100 because if they don't stand up to your own brutally honest scrutiny you may end up regretting the purchase even if you do get a good truck .

My disappointment is with my expectation as I hadn't even travelled in a 100 before I bought it. I may have to get used to giving it far more boot and hold it in the gears more than I'm used to in order to keep it moving. At the moment it seems to change up at around 1,700 rpm and even at motorway speeds doesn't get much above 2,000 rpm. Its a three-ton behemoth and I shouldn't expect it to fly :lol:.

Are you switching the O/D button in and out, or leaving it permanently engaged? Also bear in mind that the 100 has a longer throttle travel - this took me a bit of getting used to after my 95.

Last edited:
Are you switching the O/D button in and out, or leaving it permanently engaged? Also bear in mind that the 100 has a longer throttle travel - this took me a bit of getting used to after my 95.

Yes, I'm switching the O/D button off in order to hold it in third, that helps a lot when towing a couple of horses up long hills as it pulls better above 2,000 rpm.

I haven't tried holding it in second before switching to third yet.

Yes, I am giving it a lot more boot than I would on the 95, which helps a bit. The two trucks have a totally different feel to them.

I'm sure I'll get to love it when I've sorted the niggles and got used to it. It is a nice car to drive :thumbup:.

Its been sitting for three weeks without a fuel tank and now the batteries are completely flat - looks like I'll be buying a pair of new ones ASAP :doh:.

Bob.

The dude and his family who owned my LC100 before me (they were from Bishop Stortford) must have been called Noah and he must have used his truck as the ARK. I've tried everything to get the carpets clean and soon I'm going to have to remove and replace the whole lot.

And the next person who writes about AHC problems..........

I always wanted a amazon as I like the look of them and I do need the space, the reason why I got my 95 was I picked it up the auction pretty cheap due it needing new brakes, leaking steering rack and due a major service. But my 95 is in really good condition and had only one owner who had looked after it. It just became expensive to haw repaired if you had to pay for it to be done.

i think I will import one myself from japan, it's not the first time I have imported a car so know the process etc I've been looking at them go through the auction and looked at sold prices.

Last edited:
Back