Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to change the oil 4.2L 1HDFT

Hi Martin,

In terms of the order of things, what about loosening the oil filter at the beginning? If you're going to have fun & games getting the filter off, then IMHO better to learn this at the beginning and decide whether to proceed (or what course of action you're going to follow to get it off) before the engine has no oil in.

In terms of parts, no new sump plug washer fitted? :think: :lol:

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
In terms of the order of things, what about loosening the oil filter at the beginning? If you're going to have fun & games getting the filter off, then IMHO better to learn this at the beginning and decide whether to proceed (or what course of action you're going to follow to get it off) before the engine has no oil in.
Good point.

Andrew Prince said:
In terms of parts, no new sump plug washer fitted? :think: :lol:
I did wonder that but it didn't have one to start with. If that's something I've missed off, do find out the part number.

whereisgibson said:
I did wonder that but it didn't have one to start with. If that's something I've missed off, do find out the part number.
In the general scheme of things, I think this is one item that is not a big deal - you were so thorough in your write up that I was pulling your leg :mrgreen: . I have always had a new washer taped on the inside of the top flap of the oil filter box (OEM obviously). Probably more hassle than it's worth to try and track down from Mr T - order a bunch if you do. The old washer sometimes "welds" itself to the sump so that it looks like part of the metal - it can take a bit of effort to scrape off, so perhaps you still have an old one in there :idea:

Cheers,

I always ask for a washer when i get a filter from mr T, he then has great pleasure of robbing me of 60p, for a bit of cork !!!!!

Andrew Prince said:
Hi Martin,

If all other methods of removal fail, there is one that always works for me.

Take a large sharp screwdriver and one large hammer... hammer screwdriver straight through the oil filter and out the other side. Now use the screw driver to twist the oil filter half a turn :thumbup:

The first time I changed the filter on my LC I had to use this method as clearly mine had previously been fitted by a large Russian shot putter :doh:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back