Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How will adding wheel spacers affect rubbing issues ?

helen07

OK so i have managed to fit 285/75 R16 Cooper Discover STT tyres on 16x8 zero offset steel wheels to my 90 (SWB) without suspension or body lift . Just trimmed the seam inside wheel arch and cut out the upper inside quarter of the mudflaps with a 4" grinder .

Despite being perfectly happy with the result and sure nothing would rub i drove the truck for 3 days before i heard the dreaded drumming sound of rubber lugs touching metal when the steering was at full lock .

Hmmm at a junction in the middle of a U-turn , sod it i got out there and then and crawled under the truck . The tyre touches the chassis .

I could live with this but , i think could be cured by adding wheel spacers but i am concerned that the spacers might mean further trimming to the arch ?

Also as the wheel tyre combo i have brings everything maybe a half inch short of completely flush with the bodywork (outside mudguard or wheel fender as Americans call them) I can't help wondering if i extended the wheel past the arch it might not fold under the bodywork when suspension is pushed to extreme angles .

I would be grateful for any comments .

PS the tyre shop could not alter my caster setting as its seized solid (I'm gonna keep spraying it with penetrating oil for a week and take it back for another try) and i originally wanted -25mm offset American Eagle alloys but couldn't convince myself it was worth spendng that much on shipping them from America - is this my excuse to buy them lol ?

Last edited:
Some pictures would be nice, I haven't heard of anyone running 285/75/16 without some sort of lift, it must look very good!

With regards to spacers, it will most likely sort out the issue with the rubbing on the chassis, but as you said it may require more grinding on the body. Turn the wheel and see how much space you have from the mud flap and the tyre, if it's a lot then spacers should work. I would imagine it's tight, hence why people normally use a lift.

Pictures would be super!!

I run 255's, so 30mm narrower. I have 25mm spacers, so my tyre would be 5mm further in, but my wheels are -20 offset, so in approx terms the tyres on mine are 15mm further out than yours. The trimming has been done, and the front mudflaps removed.

I would say that a 15mm or 20mm spacer would solve your turning issue, but it wont deal with the extra vertical height, if you use the truck off road and try and turn whilst the front suspension is compressed I suspect that you may find the tyres scrub on the inside of the arch. Only way to avoid this is a mild suspension lift (maybe 2").

If you dont use the truck off-road it may not be an issue, but those are big tyres to run without creating a bit extra space for them to move around in.

Cheers

Pete

I will post pics as soon as its finished .

The more i think about it the more i think spacers will just be creating a bigger problem to cure a small problem . Besides it hasn't stopped raining for 6 weeks and i don't have a garage so maybe i'll just run it as is until summer comes .

It would be great to hear from someone running 285/75 tyres on a negative offset wheel even if they do have a lift kit .

Last edited:
I have my set of unused 30mm spacers left.
Just a nudge, to see if any one interested.

One or two guys on "another forum" have said they want them, but nothing more than that, and that wa a few weeks ago.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Graham, do you still have those spacers? Looking into some myself at the moment...didn't notice your post about them on 'the other forum'

James

Back