Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I didnt think this happened to the 100series

karl webster

Supporter
Guru
I have sold a set of bearings to a chap the other day and he brought one of his better bearings with him. Pic below.
IMG_0165.jpg

I have always been under the impression that the 24valve didnt have the same issue. I havnt heard or seen anything like this before on the 24valve. Has anyone else.

This came out of a 100 series with 160,000 on it.

Karl

looks like its been run without oil, defo oil pick up problem at least. I bet the oil pump isnt very clever either

Hmm, that looks like mechanical scouring to me Karl rather than calcium scavenging. Doesn't look the same as the 80 series 12v issue.

Could be wrong, but the tracks in the metal are longitudinal rather than random patches where the metal has been leached and deposited.

Chris

He said that the bad one hads bits off it everywhere and it has scored the crank.

I asked he to send a pic of them all. What do you recon then chris? Neglect? No oil changes?
Dont see how or what has done that. Unless something had gone wrong in the engine by privious owner and engine hasnt been flushed and cleaned properly.

The blokes just paid 16k for it i think :snooty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not an expert on the cause there buddy. Looks like metal particles being dragged around the journal to me. In other words, grit in yer bits. Poor oil filtration, poor oil, run dry... All guesses from my angle. But not normal that's for sure. If the crank is as bad (usually the bearing is sacrificial to an extent) I'd rather have the crank out and have it reground. New bearings will end up the same way.
Bit of a 'mare really.

Chris

the crank will be fecked thats for sure, oil pump will need pulling to peices

i would say lack of oil or should say lack of lubrication due to dirty oil etc... either way it wants investigating properly and not just a set of shells. The list will be endless ni on

or the option I would take but shouldnt say, throw some shells and get rid quick

I told him he is going to have to clean the pump and engine out.

I think the owner before him must have chucked shells in and sold it :thumbdown:

Back