Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I might have to change my user name now

Jacob100

Supporter
This has been on my wishlist for a long time. A Cruiser that is slightly bigger than the station wagons. A cab that seats three or more over two rows. A camper that sleeps three without canvas and sleeping bags. And - given the way the world is going - a less complex truck that is structurally solid and mechanically sound for many years to come.

Now I think I have finally found it.

IMG_20220910_134955722_HDR.jpg

This HZJ75 started life as a Japanese fire tender in 1995 and was imported a few years ago with 10K kms on the 1HZ. I bought it from a lovely retired Cruiser man in the north-west who had spent two years converting it before taking it to Morocco on a shakedown trip.

IMG_20220910_134446845_HDR.jpg

It's now clocked just over 30k kms and is ready for the next chapter. You could eat off the underside and the engine bay is bone stock except for retrofitted power steering. All the hard work has been done properly and it's now a blank canvas for fun mods and tweaks to make it ours.

IMG_20220910_145848648_HDR.jpg

The camper is fairly basic inside with two benches that pull together to form a good-sized bed. There's a plumbed-in diesel heater, two leisure batteries, two 100kw solar panels mounted to the roof, a compressor and a 30l Dometic drawer fridge.

IMG_20220910_145553193_HDR.jpg

There's gas, water, storage and two more jerry cans on the roof. The original tank was designed for local use and only takes 60l so that might have to go. First tank returned 23mpg by the way.

IMG_20220901_165316250_HDR.jpg

Lots to be getting on with but in it for the long haul with this one.

IMG_20220910_151918788_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220910_154225947_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
That's the plan, Jon. If I do 6k miles per year I'll be in my mid-70s when it hits 200k. Scary thought.

Looks like I missed you at the avalanche day, looking forward to seeing it in person soon.

Go 1hz!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mountain Man
Bloody lovely truck Jacob you Emma and Raf are really going places with that no more folding and unfolding for you just chuck it in the back and bugger off its a very impressive piece of kit in the pictures and more so up close thanks for the tour and hope to see the next evolution of your truck

That’s lovely. I’e seen a few still as fire tenders for sale and was tempted on one but never seen this. hope to see it in person sometime.

On the subject of not being readily recognised as a camper that was something I wanted to be sure of. Someone once said to me put “survey vehicle” on the side and nobody ever bothers you. (For me ”explosive search team” in the screen has the same effect)

A couple of photos from the PO of when it arrived and test fitting the box.

IMG-20220831-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220831-WA0018.jpg

Last edited:
Met a guy at the Overland Show with a stealth camper than had a magnetic sticker saying something like "Police Dogs in Transit" (or the like)... reckoned it worked to let him wild camp in peace in dodgy areas...

Humm .. if he claims to be an official officer, and gets called out for it - old uncle Bob's not going to be happy. Don't do that.

Anyone can be an 'explosive search team', be an 'explosive search team'. :)

Impersonating police is a prison sentence hence my suggestion which could be the FBI , Miltary , Scotland Yard , MI5 , British Telecom , Sky TV or the explanation i'd give if needed Event base vehicle .

For all and sundry it raises the question is it manned and the assumption that they may regret interferring .

Escape and Evasion tracking vehicle sounds official enough could be cub scout's to Bear Grills or George Foreman

Maybe I should put something along the lines of 'Time-Critical Nationwide Despatch Mobile Command Centre' on it which is a fair description of what I'll be doing from my laptop in the back.

Back