Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I must not lose my head.

frank rabbets

Guru
lc decoke 012.JPG

heh, for a moment there I thought I was looking at exhaust ports, ...........
And I agree, you don't want to lose your head ;)

Hmm. What's the plan Frank? I must say you have an easier way than me for getting the head off. I normally sit in the engine bay and hurt my back lol.

Crikey I didn't think anyone would be strong enough to get it out of the engine compartment. I did carry it back from the bench to the block and tackle on my own. I guess it must weigh 45 kgs.

Quite a short story really. I decided to decoke it for some entertainment but seeing how clean the valves were I did not bother stripping the head. It's back on now.

How many miles do these engines do? I can see the original honing marks on the bores. There is no ridge where the top ring comes up to .lc decoke 015.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I often carry and put things in and out the truck by hand on my arm. Strong in the Arm thick in the head I think the phase is. Lol.
FYI Frank I sent a 24v head off the other week. 68kg if I remember right.

As for mileage. Got one with 390k miles on it still fine no smoke or anything:)

Entertainment? Frank was there nothing on the telly?

Derbyshire born, Derbyshire bred, Strong in t'arm and thick in t'head is the full version Karl

If it's 68 kg/150lbs I'm stronger than I thought. I had allowed for 10% old age weakness and guessed it weighed 100 lbs as I could lift 1cwt/112 lbs or 50 kg when 18.

How many miles do these engines do? I can see the original honing marks on the bores. There is no ridge where the top ring comes up to .

I recall reading the block has a higher nickel content making it very hard wearing. The 4.2 lc engine I read about was iirc around 250000 miles and looked like yours internally. Might be wrong but weren't they designed for 1 million km or similar with some rebuilds on the way to that.

What are those Orange marks in cylinder 5 Frank?

I had similar in No6 and when cleaned up, I found this:-

1026268432_8rgMQ-O.jpg

Last edited:
I remember the crack in your block. All the bores had orange marks after standing overnight and I just assumed it was rust from condensation. I didn't check for cracks. About 5 years ago I marked the expansion bottle water level line and the words "when cold". It's never used any water so I guess it is OK. I think yours was a 12 valve? Have you heard of other people having cracked blocks? Perhaps yours was overheated at some point.

Took me nearly 1 hour to torque all the bolts up evenly.

If it hasn't used any water in 5 years I recon yours is fine Frank :thumbup:

Yes mine is a 12 valve, the same block though I think. Never heard of one cracking like mine did. It has now done over 20,000 miles since the rebuild so I must have done something right.

Yes torquing the head bolts is a monumental task for one. I had the the help of my brother in law, I held the socket on the bolts and steadied the extension while he did the pulling.... sadly he passed away earlier this year, he was only 59 :(

1102138676_pE2GB-L.jpg

How many miles do these engines do? I can see the original honing marks on the bores. There is no ridge where the top ring comes up to .

I recall reading the block has a higher nickel content making it very hard wearing. The 4.2 lc engine I read about was iirc around 250000 miles and looked like yours internally. Might be wrong but weren't they designed for 1 million km or similar with some rebuilds on the way to that.

Yep mines got a sticker on it somewhere saying 1,000,000 kms, only 650,000 kms to go then, for me...... :shifty:

Sorry to hear about your brother in law. Puts things into perspective.

Another NIGHTMARE job yesterday putting the rocker shaft on. You really need 21 people as there are 21 pendulums dangling down and they need to horizontal. I tied a piece of nylon string between the two end bearings and pulled it tight which sort of pulled everything horizontal and those which got caught I could pull up with the string. Easy in the end.

It's all back together and running well. Took a bit of cranking before it fired. Taking the injector pipes off drains them of fuel which takes some time for he pump to refill them.

35 mpg on my first long trip after replacing head!! The injector tips were very carboned up so I cleaned them in-situ with a very fine wire brush. I also cleaned the valves in-situ and accessible parts of the valve seats. There used to be smoke on start up but now non. Each injector has 6 tiny holes and protrudes about 4mm from the c/h. When clean they are very shiny like polished stainless steel.

Amazing. Mine is an 12v 4.2TD auto on 285 BFG muds with a large roof rack and I think I get circa 20mpg. I've got some long runs this week and will stick to all of the speed limits and see how it comes out but I doubt it will be as 'good' as 25mpg.

Well done Frank.

Back