Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I must not lose my head.

Amazing. Mine is an 12v 4.2TD auto on 285 BFG muds with a large roof rack and I think I get circa 20mpg. I've got some long runs this week and will stick to all of the speed limits and see how it comes out but I doubt it will be as 'good' as 25mpg.

Well done Frank.

Mine is a 12v 4.2 non-turbo HZJ manual on 305 GGAT2s with a large roof rack and I think I get circa <= 20mpg (just less than 14.5 ltr/100km).

I get 20 mpg out of my late 24v manual.

my other late manual that's standard gets mid 20s

I'm getting 19.5 out of the 12v auto around town and 25 out of the 24v maunal on a run. Can't complain.

On some of the top quality 60's diesel engines the internals eg con rods were polished to a mirror finish to slow down carbon build up. The polished injector tips on my 80 reminded me of this. However there was some carbon which I cleaned off. I can only assume this is the reason the mpg has increased. I don't think injector cleaner would have got the carbon off. tried it once a couple of years ago and it made no difference. When I first had my 80 it had 30.000 miles on it and did 32 mpg on a run but mpg has slowly decreased.

Over the last 250 miles my 80 returned 22.5mpg. This was ideal driving conditions speed wise but it does have a full roof rack with a 285 BFG mud tyre strapped it it. I can't see how you can get 30mpg and more out of a 4.2 litre brick on wheels. Are you sure you are working it out correctly Frank? ;-)

Yes I regularly check my fuel use. 1 Gallon = 4.545 Litres. I keep a calculator and all my fuel records written down in the car. I also brim at the same pump every time, even going back to it after we've done 2/3000 miles abroad.

The 12 valve cars do about 30% less than the 24 valve ones.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes I regularly check my fuel use. 1 Gallon = 4.545 Litres. I keep a calculator and all my fuel records written down in the car. I also brim at the same pump every time, even going back to it after we've done 2/3000 miles abroad.
The 12 valve cars do about 30% less than the 24 valve ones.
I've got an app on my Samsung S4 called UK MPG calculator, just enter distance travelled and litres bought and it coverts to MPG. :thumbup: I'm only getting, usually, 18.5 :thumbdown:

I'm only getting 22 in my 95 but it is on 305s with rack and spots etc.

Going by the posts above a 12v is good for mpg in the low 20s and a 24v will be circa 25mpg or +25-30% on a 12v as Frank said. Differences in tyres, roof racks, driving style and roads will make a difference but not a night and day difference it seems.

If refurbishing my head or injectors will increase my mpg to the high twenties I would strongly consider doing that.

Back