Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I only bought it because I don't like cars(the accidental 40 owner)

chris6556

Country Flag
uk
Hi,my name's Chris.
I've bought and restored a 1979 HJ45. I only purchased it because I finally realised that every car I owned got treated like a pickup truck,so when the time came to actually decide what vehicle I would have,given a choice,I came up with a landcruiser.I'd learned to drive in an old series landrover when I was a youth,gamekeeping up at Peckforton Estate on what is now ironically a 4x4 trail that people pay for the privilege to drive about on.So,I guess you could say I've done all that.My boss was so tight he used to make me roll back down to save fuel after I'd fed the birds at the top so he could put it in his MG B.
When this one showed up on Ebay,I stared and hankered at it for about 6 months and still nobody bought it to put me out of my misery.I know now that is because anyone with any sense wouldn't touch it with a barge pole,what with it being almost entirely knackered.One night,I pressed 'buy it now'and the rest is history but at least the price had gone down significantly.
I am not new to restoring old vehicles but I didn't really think of 1979 as being particularly old when you consider my last restoration was a 1948 Bedford OB (google search JXT 482)which has been ongoing since 1987 and before that a 1942 45 Harley flathead and many old British bikes which if I'd kept would now be worth a fortune.I did buy a Nova Exotica VW kit car but having stuck a Subaru engine in it that would surely have buckled it's flimsey chassis if used in anger,sold it on and put it down to a midlife crisis.
I guess I'm a musician but musicians would call me a singer,so if your ever looking for a rock band,I'm your man.I also do trees.
Anyway,my cruiser is finally on the road and put to work ferrying materials to restore the house that I turned into a garage for three years because as some of you will know,a single garage and patio just ain't big enough when you dismantle a truck.Even turned the greenhouse into a spray booth.Trashed.
I intend to use it as a very cool workhorse and in time it may pay for itself or at least its wheels.When I think it's had enough I will overhaul the engine,gearbox and rear axle put it back together,sell me house,stick me Triumph 955i on the back and tow me old bus like a caravan across the channel and never ever return.I love it.

Welcome Chris, great introduction. Yet an other 40 in the club :dance:

Great intro. The pics you've put up with the restore... Looks like a massive job!

Why you mentioned overhauling the engine? Does it need it?

So no interest in marriage then eh :lol: great intro :clap:

Welcome to the forum Chris, we're having a run of new 40 owner members at the moment which is fabulous for those with more sense than to tackle such a restoration, and to those who have taken the plunge!

Great intro and a beautiful looking truck, the 40 series is classic! :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi and welcome Chris, great truck and great intro. It's a joy to see so many new 40s on here. It would be even better to see one on my drive at some point. :)

Good to have you aboard

Best wishes

Richard

Not sure why but I'm not getting the photos on my phone, didn't even know there were some

Great intro. The pics you've put up with the restore... Looks like a massive job!

Why you mentioned overhauling the engine? Does it need it?
No,at the moment my insane gamble seems to have paid off.Just got to adjust one tappet and advance the diesel pump a tad but its all just to good to be true.Only time and abuse will tell.

Sound
Nope,I don't think the relationship will ever recover from this build.The truck widow got so bored of waiting,she bought a defender.
Sounds like grounds for divorce in itself…:)

HI Chris I am in Wrexham I have got sum parts wot R you looking for call me on 07917562242 from Tony love your Cruiser.

Does anyone know where to get an oil filter from,this side of the channel?

Any decent parts factors I would say, I use Motor Serv a lot, they can get most things I need and I suspect more than one engine uses the same filter as a Land Cruiser. There is also a multitude of parts available on Ebay, or you could try euro 4x4 parts, they are in France so might take a couple of days but could be worth a try.

Hi Chirs I have a oil filter I can sell you r you comeing to Lincomb on the weekend I can take it with me let my now from Tony ps it's £10

Any decent parts factors I would say, I use Motor Serv a lot, they can get most things I need and I suspect more than one engine uses the same filter as a Land Cruiser. There is also a multitude of parts available on Ebay, or you could try euro 4x4 parts, they are in France so might take a couple of days but could be worth a try.
Yes thanks,I use Euro4x4 alot but I'm trying to avoid the 22euro postage unless I'm buying something else,which I'm not.I shall check Motor Serv out though.

Hi Chirs I have a oil filter I can sell you r you comeing to Lincomb on the weekend I can take it with me let my now from Tony ps it's £10
Well there's a part I need.Unfortunately I am not coming to Lincomb this weekend because I am putting the shiplap back on the front of my house,then painting it,which is dull but it's painting weather and has to be done.Could I pick it up sometime or even get you to post it?.Cheers.

Well there's a part I need.Unfortunately I am not coming to Lincomb this weekend because I am putting the shiplap back on the front of my house,then painting it,which is dull but it's painting weather and has to be done.Could I pick it up sometime or even get you to post it?.Cheers.

Back