I want one

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
How long before there is one of these in every house :o

[youtube:2jhw4nom]ZboxMsSz5Aw[/youtube:2jhw4nom]

That would indeed be very cool.

Need a special tool for that Toyota maintenance job.
Download, print and use!

That Apple guy will probably call it I-TOOL.

There is already a home version of this available from the US in a 'build it yourself kit' for £1200. It uses reels of plastic wire that it melts to build up the part.

OK theirs is a super spanking version, but it's already becoming usable tech.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So if you could get past the $1200 for the printer, what software do you need to drive it and actually convert the image? Was not clear from that add if this was included....

Still like these, if only I could find a application for it... I guess similar to the iPad

TonyP said:
So what software do you need to drive it and actually convert the image? Was not clear from that add if this was included....
The ad does say
"This Ultimaker kit includes everything you need to start printing"

Ah well yes, I am just a bit skeptical of the add.... however I did spot this:

*Software

* Standard Free and Open Source Software: ReplicatorG
* Also include NetFabb Engine for Ultimaker (Basic) +€150.00

So i'm guessing the free software will be ok, but then you need to spend another $150 for the BASIC :roll: software....

What a stunning piece of kit. Tomorrows science fiction, made real today. I know some folks on their way to South Africa, who would love to have this 3D printer at hand.....

The Other John

Dark Dude

There is a whole host of free open source software for these things. I am sure I have seen conversions from Google's Sketch up.

I really do want one :drool:

:whistle: toy budget blown this month. Next month :drool:

LOL has anyone noticed the wrench that was "printed" was not the same as the one scanned? the scanner can only scan the surface of an object, not its internal parts. Also the eye at the end of the wrench is different.

We can scan and "print" 3D objects at work and we have equipment which better than what is in the video and I can tell you its not cheap, you could buy multiple houses with the cost of a single SLS rapid protyping machine. We mostly use it for prototyping parts from CAD as it is fast and you can make parts that are impossible/difficult/costly to machine without the need to make a mould tool but there are drawbacks. The parts usually warp and as a result we add material to the crucial areas and then machine to size eg bearing fits.

What I find amazing is DMLS (direct metal laser sintering). Its a similar process but you can make complex metal parts very quickly in the same way:
dmls_proto.jpg

Back