Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ignition Key difficult to turn for starting

Peewee

Country Flag
australia
Hi

My money pit of an early 2006 HZJ79R is trying my patience

Short story....
Sprayed lubricant down the keyhole of the ignition barrel as the key release button was getting sticky.

Now I have to wobble my key to turn on the ignition.
I'm going to assume my ignition barrel was full of gunk, but now clean, is worn out or am I being a bit premature?

Any suggestions of what is really the problem or a link to a matching set of key barrels for the ignition and doors?
If I replace the ignition barrel is there anything else I should change while I have the steering column apart?

I did a forum search and couldn't find anything and will call Toyota in the morning.

Cheers

Pete

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my 75.
Worn key. No problems with spare key.
Worth a try.
Maybe too much lubricant which make the internals of the barrel sticky.
Did you try a (very gentle) blast of air in the keyhole to blow the excess of lubricant away?

No air....
Tried the spare key but the same wiggle is required

When my 120 started playing up, reluctant to let me get key out, and forcing me to leave it in one night, I squirted a shitload of switch cleaner in there through a little tube, similar to what you get with wd40. I figured it may be sticky through other lubricants, so did not want to add more to start with.
Nothing seemed to happen, although I did manage to get out. As I couldn't go anywhere ( unreliable) I left it for a day and when I tried again putting key in and out, starting and stopping, it had become much smoother and easier to use. As Firwout says maybe sticky with oil or other that someone previously used.

Worth pointing out that my aftermarket replacement ignition barrel and door locks have a different cheaper style key to OEM.

Now I need to carry an original key for fuel caps and another for the door/ignition.
You can't get the fuel cap barrels swapped either.....
Bugger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had similar problem with my 100 series put mild lube in but all the debris made it worse , flushed it with carb/brake cleaner its fine now ....

Couldn't handle the cheap eBay key so got a full set of new locks from Toyota, ignition, doors fuel caps and glove box.... $480
Could have got a set from Toyota with just the ignition and doors, $300
Locksmith wanted $60 to change each fuel cap barrels to match ($120) but that would have left the glove box unmatched.....
Yes I have OCD

Back