Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Importing a 4.2 l diesel from Japan; am I nuts?

Harriet

Country Flag
japan
Hi everyone, newbie here. I've just posted a quick self intro in the "introduce yourself" forum....basically I'm a Brit over in Japan who wants to buy and eventually import a 70 series to the UK. I'm interested in the swb JDM models whose production ran up til 2004, (I think). They have the 4.2l diesel engine. I don't think they were ever sold in the UK. Can anyone advise me as to whether this is a nutty idea, or if it is doable? My main concerns are getting parts. Can these be easily serviced in the UK? Sadly, neither my partner nor myself have any mechanical skills or experience.
I'd use it as a daily driver, a workhorse for carrying stuff and as a vehicle to cover lots of miles in Europe. No off roading or towing.
Tax and insurance won't be cheap but that's just a bullet I'd have to bite.
They aren't particularly cheap in Japan but those I've seen are well maintained with low miles; 200,000km on a early '90s vehicle would put it in the high mileage range over here. Do they really go on and on and on?
I'm also thinking that something this old would bypass any emissions regs and could be imported and registered easily as a Single Vehicle Import.
Any info or comments would be appreciated! Thanks.

The salt-free first 200,000 miles is the biggest attraction.

Many UK models are already rotten by that time, so the higher price will only reflect the better condition, and should be well worth paying IMO.

I made the mistake of looking at some on a Japanese site a few days ago, they all looked like they came out of the showroom underneath :(

Not nuts at all. Can you get me one?

Seriously, these trucks are super strong and easily fixed if you bust them. A Cruiser is a Cruiser. Import or UK spec there's little difference in the parts. As already stated, the condition would make it very attractive. It's age that really tells and if it's had a lovely life somewhere nice then it will be young for its age if you get me.

The salt-free first 200,000 miles is the biggest attraction.

Many UK models are already rotten by that time, so the higher price will only reflect the better condition, and should be well worth paying IMO.

do they just not use salt in Japan ? its a pretty wet and cold place in itself..

Cheers gentlemen, your input is much appreciated. Condition, condition, condition!
Do you think it is worth going for the 4.2 over the earlier 3.4 model? There are some of the smaller engined ones still about that look like they've been babied and in the region of 30% cheaper than their big brothers? In my heart I'd like the 4.2 but my head will listen to those whose field this is.
Apart from the obvious underneath condition, are there places we should look especially carefully at for rust and rot? Roads outside of Hokkaido (the most Northern island) aren't usually salted, so most Japanese cars don't suffer anything like their UK equivalents do...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Harriet, when it arrived from Japan my 81 was like it had just left the factory underneath and in the engine bay at 9 years old. 12 years on I still own it and love it to bits.

Not sure which engine that model has but if it is the 1HD-T or 1HD-FT then they are superb engines. By the price of them it looks like the 4.2 is most sought after over there and for good reason. They start with half a turn of the key to well below zero and pull like a train all day long.

" They start with half a turn of the key to well below zero and pull like a train all day long."

This is also music to our ears as we're planning on making West Yorkshire "base camp", and winters there will be waaaaaay colder than Tokyo!

Go for it only rust can kill a cruiser and a 4.2 lorry engine in a lightweight would likely go to the moon and back .

Hi Harriet, when it arrived from Japan my 81 was like it had just left the factory underneath and in the engine bay at 9 years old. 12 years on I still own it and love it to bits.

Not sure which engine that model has but if it is the 1HD-T or 1HD-FT then they are superb engines. By the price of them it looks like the 4.2 is most sought after over there and for good reason. They start with half a turn of the key to well below zero and pull like a train all day long.

the Japan Domestic 70 series from early 90's would be the 4.2 1HZ I think. The older 3.4L mentioned would be the 1PZ

You're absolutely nuts - in a good way. GO for it. And yes, the 4.2 in any flavour, if you like diesels. Bulletproof.
Otherwise, the v8 petrol is just smooooth, as long as you don't go lpg with it.
But why the SWB? if you are touring and shifting things as much as it sounds (maybe in your other post), you would like to have the space. And the LWB is a bit more relaxed on the highway, more stable.
Can't say anything about the legalities and import bureaucracy in foreign lands tho'.

the Japan Domestic 70 series from early 90's would be the 4.2 1HZ I think. The older 3.4L mentioned would be the 1PZ

My '95 80 has the 1HZ and it's a bit of a slug off the lights, but it will pull all day and every day.

The coldest I've had mine is -32C and it started on a flick, as always.

The 3,4L will be the 3B engine or if you're very lucky, the turboed 13bt. The truck will have BJ7..... In the VIN number.
The 1 PZ is the 5 cylinder version of the 1HZ.
I don't know if they ever put a hd-t or the hd-ft in the 7 series; this would be the ultimate combination.
I don't want to be the party pooper, but please keep in mind when you consider the 7 as a daily driver, that it is a truck. And it drives like a truck. If you want do do a lot of mileage on highways, the novelty will wear off and you'll wish you drove an 80 instead.
Btw, I've been driving my HZJ75 today. It's a great place to be in and it always brings a smile on my face, but in all honesty, my 80 drives better and my vw caddy is more practical.

Thanks everyone for all the input; this is just the kind of stuff I was hoping for!
OK, in case you hadn't already noticed, I'm on a steep learning curve here! So, am I correct in thinking that the 1HZ was the engine for the 80 series which were imported into the UK? And would this mean a readier supply of parts? None of the JDM versions we are looking at have any kind of turbo, is that a big difference?

As for why a SWB; two reasons really.
First is parking. We have a small parking space at the Tokyo flat, the previous occupant snugly parked a Prius. Looking down the road, our UK pad also comes with a covered albeit not very generously sized or configurated parking space and finally, over in France we are fortunate enough to own a garage which is ace, but again it is restricted. We don't have kids or pets and so the need for masses of space behind isn't so much of an issue. Good point though about improved stability in a LWB.
The second reason is aesthetics; we really like the look of the SWB versions; as we really like the appearance of the 70 series over the 80 series. All those rugged angles and chunky styling are just terrific.

image.jpg
Thanks everyone for all the input; this is just the kind of stuff I was hoping for!
OK, in case you hadn't already noticed, I'm on a steep learning curve here! So, am I correct in thinking that the 1HZ was the engine for the 80 series which were imported into the UK? And would this mean a readier supply of parts? None of the JDM versions we are looking at have any kind of turbo, is that a big difference?

The second reason is aesthetics; we really like the look of the SWB versions; as we really like the appearance of the 70 series over the 80 series. All those rugged angles and chunky styling are just terrific.
The 1HZ is a 4,2l straight six cylinder non turbo with 130 hp.
1hd-t is the (slightly modificated) 1hz with a turbo. 160 hp.
1hd-ft is still based on the same 6 cylinder block, turboed with 24 valves. 170 hp.
Afaik the 70 series has the 1hz and only the 80 series has the 1 hd-t and the 1hd-ft.
I put a turbo on the 1hz of my hzj75 , this made a big difference when driving uphill especially when driving the higher altitude alpine passes.
The different gearing and the stronger 1hd-ft engine makes my 80 a much smoother ride.
The 70 series drives like a small truck and the 80 series drive like a big car.
Btw a guy from work had a 70 series body put on a 80 series frame.....a great combination IMO but he hasn't succeeded in getting it legally on the road.

Last edited:
Thanks Firewout; am getting a MUCH clearer picture of what's what, and can't tell you all how much easier it is to do be getting this info in English rather than Japanese. There is great info here about LCs here in Japan, but pretty much nothing about other places, especially the older models.
Hugely appreciated; big thanks all round.

You should have no problems maintaining the 1hz engine in the UK.

Thanks so much, GeekOKent; your one sentence has made my day, and made me even more determined to make this happen.
The logistics of getting it deregistered in Japan and reregistered in the UK will no doubt cause a bit of stress at the time but they'll be one offs and where there's a will, there's a way kind of thing.
The headache would start if you had servicing issues once it was back "home" but sounds like this won't even be an issue....why I might sound a bit paranoid about this is I had the same experience in Japan when I bought a KTM supermoto against good advice and had loads of hassle getting parts for it when it broke down on a seemingly weekly basis. Different beasts, I know but once bitten...

GeekOkent is right. The maintenance and parts sourcing is not a problem. You can still order a brand new engine from toyota.
The only thing you really should beware of is the rust. They can rust really badly.
When you found your dreamcar, check for rust. Windshield frame, sills, rear quarters....
When you bring your rustfree baby home, have it waxoyled!

It's also a good idea to have/learn some basic mechanical skills. It'll save you money when you can do the servicing yourself. It needs an oilchange every 5000 kms with more than 9 liters of oil. Also you can get parts much cheaper than from the toyota dealer.
Fyi : average fuel consumption is 13 liters/100kms (21-22 mpg)

As far as engine service/maintenance goes, ME is that the 1HZ needs very little.

Oil/filter, air and fuel filter changes and timing belt and adjuster by the book intervals and there's not much else to it.

Apart from the above, and at close to 400k km, my engine has had a new water pump and I tried to get a tappet (tick) fixed but the next shim size was too much and they put it back to the original.

I changed the BEBs as a matter of course at 300k km but there was nothing wrong with the originals.

That's it.

It's a 1,000,000km engine as the book says, if it's regularly serviced.

At 21 years old, mine's just under half way ... :lol:

Back