Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Importing an 80 to the UK

Nickolai

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi all,

New member here. I am the proud owner of a 1994 HDJ81 here in New Zealand.

My lovely wife (who is from the UK) and I are considering moving to the UK for a few years - we have a little one and would like him to get to know his grandparents better. We figure it might be worth bringing our 80 for some UK and Europe adventures. There's also a half-baked plan involving Africa. This truck is a 'forever vehicle' so is really well maintained - it flies through 6 monthly Warrants of Fitness (our MOT inspection equivalent)

My question is, is it possible to register an old 80 like this in the UK? Does anyone have any advice about it - the DVLA website would seem to imply that it is possible/allowed etc. What's the process etc

Here's the truck on NZ's longest drivable beach

IMG_5497 (1).jpeg

I'm pretty sure there are people on here who have imported old LC's from Japan and other countries so hopefully they can offer more specific advice on procedures and the good old red tape.

Main concern is if there's some emissions or safety standard that an ancient 80 won't meet.

Hi,

You don’t need to put it through an Individual Type Approval. (Only for vehicles under 10yrs old) It will only need to pass an MoT inspection which is very much easier and cheaper.

As you have owned it overseas I believe you won’t have to pay import duties so it should all be fairly easy to do. Minimal mods required if you don’t have them such as rear fog light. Speedo can be in km only for MoT (not for IVA)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi,

You don’t need to put it through an Individual Type Approval. (Only for vehicles under 10yrs old) It will only need to pass an MoT inspection which is very much easier and cheaper.

As you have owned it overseas I believe you won’t have to pay import duties so it should all be fairly easy to do. Minimal mods required if you don’t have them such as rear fog light. Speedo can be in km only for MoT (not for IVA)

Awesome, thank you. I can manage a rear fog light!

Lookup some "Expats returned to UK" group FB etc. (I see equivalent in Ireland) and should be able to help from those that have gone before

"helped" me get a new exhaust system in from Aussie

I did it with a hilux , driven from South Africa & on Namibian plates, was fairly straight forward about 16 years ago, truck was about 15 yr old, needed date of manufacture ( not first reg) Toyota were a PIA waiting for this so had the dealer who sold it when new in Windhoek track this down & send it through, insured it on the chassis no, took it to a local dvla office with all the paperwork & they issued a uk reg & v5 .
not sure if it’s changed now though
Andy

Kia Ora,

One in one out lol. Mine is heading in the opposite direction. I believe you'll need to find an insurer who will cover it on the chassis number so you can then move it from the port.
Then it is just a form at the DVLA and await a UK number plate. I think what Andy has said above is pretty much spot on.

Back