Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Improvised Winch, somehting every 4x4 off road driver should know

moggy1968

Just done an Expedition skills training course last week and one of the most useful vehicle based things I saw was the flip flop, or Kochansky winch.

we righted a rolled vehicle using this and a snatch block to do an off axis pull, and then winched it out of a bog hole doing this.

The main advisories are to watch out for the lever pole, it has a hell of a lot of force in it and will take your head off if you let go or don't tie it off, watch out for the winch pole, as you wind out rope it can start to pull sideways, keep the rope tight in to the lever pole
. You need a static (i.e non stretchy) rope

This is a proper get you out the shit job!! I will now be packing a 40m static rope so I can do this if I need to.

Here's a demo of it (not from the course, someone elses)

where there is nothing to tie onto you can rig a similar system vertically by burying your winch pole

I've always wondered if I could remember the flip flop and other techniques if and when I needed them. Stuck somewhere, no Google, knowing there's a method but unable to recall it. That's why I'd carry a pistol and one single round ha ha.

I've always wondered if I could remember the flip flop and other techniques if and when I needed them. Stuck somewhere, no Google, knowing there's a method but unable to recall it. That's why I'd carry a pistol and one single round ha ha.
I was trying to think how I could do a demo without resorting to the cutting down a couple of trees and going to the woods, so, get 2 pencils, some string and a dinky car and you can practice at home!

You got a Dinky car stuck? Really?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good one Moggy. Great share.

Where did you do your expedition skills course? Sounds interesting

I was trying to watch that video on holiday when we got into a "situation" but there was dodgy reception. Managed to free ourselves anyway.

Back