Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

In defence of off roading

rationalises and quantifies what we all knew already

https://www.outsideonline.com/2325941/defense-roading
Interesting read.. There are a lot of green lanes round us(Kent) and they all seem civilised and responsible (except the moto crossers) .. All landrovers for some reason. The thing that gets me is the off roading videos, mainly Australia/ south America. when they have drive shaft issues they whip the wheel/ hubs off and let the gear oil spew out all over the place.. That's not right surely. :eusa-naughty:

I've met people who think nothing of doing an oil change in the desert and letting it soak into the ground, or leaving their rubbish behind...………..

Theres been a video from a UK based Tour company circulating recently showing them chewing up trails, wheel spinning and leaving big ruts. Really responsible for allegedly professional 4x4 Guides

As always its the minority who cause the trouble for the majority

The main offenders here are quads, in all shapes, sizes and guises, I don’t know why, but they seem to totally disregard the unwritten rules of behavior, especially staying to the existing tracks. The truck off-roaders dont seem to be anywhere near as irresponsible.

SSV’s seem to be a growing menace in some places. I’ve met a few flat out on narrow mountain tracks in the Atlas.

Sooner or later one of them will lose an argument with 2.5 tonnes to Landcruiser!

The main offenders here are quads, in all shapes, sizes and guises, I don’t know why, but they seem to totally disregard the unwritten rules of behavior, especially staying to the existing tracks. The truck off-roaders dont seem to be anywhere near as irresponsible.
Most Sunday mornings we get half a dozen quads and crossers that come' Balling' through the village on their way to the lanes and the old Pit Tip, No number plates, Helmets optional, Exhausts that's also an option.. cops wont/ cant do anything. because technicaly they cant pursue motorbikes, High speed chase, No helmets etc etc. Every Sunday morning 101 phone lines must light up with a Dozen or so angry villagers ranting about the Racket at 7 in the morning....:angry-nono:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In the Canadian Rockies many of the trails are closed now after years of abuse from the quads who, certainly over there, have given all off-roaders a bad reputation. We all know it is a small minority but ignorance by the non-involved majority tars everyone with the same brush. The Canadian groups seem to be working towards getting the bans lifted except for quads which in itself is causing problems.
In the Tabernas desert certain areas/trails do not allow bikes or quads (all properly signed and enforced by rangers) and only full 4x4s are allowed in all the areas. But then Tabernas is a lot smaller then the Canadian Rockies!

Rodger

Back