Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inaugural Christmas ELCO Night Special stage road rally

Rob said:
Seeing as this is a timed event on public roads it is classed as a rally, even though there is an average speed restriction. Most peoples insurance will not cover this and you need insurance as you are using public roads. When I have participated in similar rallies the organising club had to buy insurance for third party cover in order to stay legal. This was usually partly funded by the club and by the entrance fee. Also you may need to inform the local police department of this event. As far as I'm aware this insurance can not be purchased on an individual basis.

Will the club be providing adequate insurance for this event and if so what are the costs?

Got to love Britian. I will not miss this place for red tape when I leave in 18 months time.

The "club" will not be providing any insurance on this. Not like we have a minister of finance. If this does go ahead, it will be a group of friends driving somewhere at night. Anyone hear the word rally? ;) Nope, not me.

Rob
We have a couple of options, either we call it a treasure hunt or I continue per suing insurance through some contacts of mine at the MSA
Crispin has contacted relevant authorities and they are happy with it
It is a bit of a shame to take this approach as it is going to be primarily a navigation test

As Julian said, I have spoken to the Marshals at the plain and they were ok with everything. I explained what we were doing and he was not bothered. Said stay off the grass and you'll be fine.

If it must get sticky then I'll rename the thread to "Timed treasure hunt.". Simples :|

I was just letting you know in case you did not know. All I can recommend is avoid saying the 'r' word as it complicates things. Treasure hunting should be fine in terms of insurance but don't take my word for it.
Julian said:
It is a bit of a shame to take this approach as it is going to be primarily a navigation test
I apologise for the wording of my original post and was not intending to start any problems. As there have been problems with wardens/police on the plains in the past I feel that this issue should be addressed. I was intending to suggest that event should be reclassified to avoid all this red tape. In rallies that I have participated in the past, even though all the paperwork was legit we were asked to say that it was an orienteering exercise if we were pulled over to avoid any complicated paperwork checks.

I think 'treasure hunt' is the main get out of red tape phrase isn't it?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry for the slow response, I have been trying to make time in my diary
Unfortunantly I am going to have to postpone this event, I still want to put one together
I just don't have enough time to do it justice at the moment

Ah ok, no worries then.

There seems to be a gathering the day after though, i will post seperatly for that one, can you make it on the suday?

Ah bugger... but totally understand

Back