Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

informing insurance about new springs and shock absorbers UK

graysworld

I have been crawling around under my KZJ78 doing a whole load of cleaning and notice it has Old man emu springs and shocks. When I bought it I didnt think it was raised up or modified. Do I need to inform the insurance?

Regards Graeme

Its a bit of a area with insurance companies, strictly speaking you are required to tell them of “any” modifications made to the vehicle from factory spec. I know of someone who had a claim refused as he hand not told them about changing the radio unit in his car!, although that was some time ago - it was broken into and they stated that he had not advised them and it made the car a higher risk due to the higher value equipment being installed.

Personally I’d think that any non-mechanical changes “should” :handgestures-finge: be ok, but things like taller springs, etc which would/may change the vehicles characteristics should probably be advised of.

The grey area is you are asked if the vehicle has been modified - we are not all qualified mechanics, so how would we know (if it’s a change made by a previous owner).

I'm with Flux because they pretty much expect modifications and i've listed some i haven't yet got , he view they take is if your willing to spend o modifications then your likely to look after the vehicle .

As you bought it that way and its not obvious i don't see how it can be an issue when near every garage repairs using generic parts from a motorfactor supplier rather than genuine . Your not qualified to say its modified and phoning most insurers will up your premium just because so i would leave things be until renewal time .

2Gether have a special section for modified vehicles. I tried to insure a standard vehicle with them and they wouldn't have it.

I have been crawling around under my KZJ78 doing a whole load of cleaning and notice it has Old man emu springs and shocks. When I bought it I didnt think it was raised up or modified. Do I need to inform the insurance?

Regards Graeme
You bought it in 'good faith', although, was there any paperwork with the vehicle when you bought it, if not then I would say your 'in the clear' as you didn't know any suspension mod's had been done, also are you sure it's raised.

I'm pretty sure old man emu make standard height coil springs? If they are I wouldn't bother saying anything. At the end of the day it's only like 99% of all other cars on the road that have non genuine shockers fitted when the originals fail. Only yours are probably better than standard.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Personally I did tell them, and they were fine about it, but then we have some pretty obvious modifications on these days. Like many things it depends on weather you want to accept the risk that IF you had an accident, and IF your insurance discovered it, and IF they used it as a basis for not paying out either to you or the person with whom you were involved, could you cover the costs yourself?

Personally, in your situation i'd probably just leave it, because you didn't fit them, and because the insurance company are unlikely to find out.

Back