Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Injector cleaners

Omar LC5 120

Country Flag
uk
Hello LC owners.
Been a while since I've posted anything. As we know we are in a tough time with this pandemic and I pray we all come out of it quickly and safely.
My mechanic died of covid a few weeks ago. As much as he was a mate. He was my go to guy with regards to any car issue. Tough times indeed.

For a few years now I've watched videos and read reviews on injector cleaners, like Lucas etc. But are they any good. My car has no real issue but as I bought it with 160k on it, I'd like to know if it's worth me keeping injectors clean as possible to my knowledge.

For what its worth i've been using Millers Diesel fuel additives (changed names several times over the years) for decades, its probably Diesel Power Ecomax or summat at the moment.
So far so good, have never had any fuelling issues, not failed or dodgy injectors and to date haven't needed to clean the EGR valve on any of my Diesels either.

Supposed to raise the cetane rating by a couple of points too.
I also put a dose of standard mineral 2T oil in the tank when i fill up, the jury is out on how effective this is.

Regular good servicing, allowing the engine to warm up and cool down, using the full range of revs but treating the vehicle with mechanical sympathy always helps.

Others say these additives are snake oil, thats fine, you pays your money and takes your choice, i'll be carrying on with Millers additives for as long as drive a Diesel vehicle, note, Miller petrol additive goes in the tank of the Forester XT we also run.

I put these produts in every tankful of fuel, for injector cleaning purposes as a one off Forte products are well spoken of too.

You might find this old thread interesting, the pics arn't great due to Photobuckets policy shift, but if Ricardo and Millbrook were involved then worth a look.

Hello LC owners.
Been a while since I've posted anything. As we know we are in a tough time with this pandemic and I pray we all come out of it quickly and safely.
My mechanic died of covid a few weeks ago. As much as he was a mate. He was my go to guy with regards to any car issue. Tough times indeed.

For a few years now I've watched videos and read reviews on injector cleaners, like Lucas etc. But are they any good. My car has no real issue but as I bought it with 160k on it, I'd like to know if it's worth me keeping injectors clean as possible to my knowledge.
I've used Archoil Diesel treatment products for aeon's, with good results.

I sometimes had issues with the 78 on emissions at mot. The garage owner, who we have used for years, tipped a bottle of forte in diesel tank, and sent one of the lads for a run, then no issues.
Prior to changing head and cleaning gunk throughout, I used to pre empt that performance by forte in before mot after a run and never had those emission issues again
I also use the 2T oil in there, seemed to run smoother, as said, yer takes her money..........

There are many so called injector cleaners on the market but, personally, having tried a few, I think filling the tank with super diesel and giving the vehicle a good workout is as good as any. If you have injector problems the only real solution is to get them out and and properly cleaned and adjusted/calibrated. JMO.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There are many so called injector cleaners on the market but, personally, having tried a few, I think filling the tank with super diesel and giving the vehicle a good workout is as good as any. If you have injector problems the only real solution is to get them out and and properly cleaned and adjusted/calibrated. JMO.
Towpack, forgive my ignorance, but what's super diesel,? can't recall ever seeing that on any forecourt

“Super diesel is the equivelent of Super Unleaded. Shell call theirs “V Power”, BP call theirs “Ulitimate Diesel/Unleaded. The Super fuels are supposed to have higher octane/cetane ratings as well as other additives for a cleaner burn giving cleaner running which is why they cost more. With the current price crash they’re more or less down to what “standard” fuels used to be.

So there's no harm in throwing in some well branded diesel cleaner every so often.

I also use super fuel. Have a BP close to me. I prefer using shell if I can, makes me feel better But I don't know if that's psychological, Esso I tend to not use too. but I stay clear from supermarket fuel. Although a mate of mine says it's exactly the same.

I occasionally tip the odd litre of 2 stroke mix into the 95 , mainly as a disposal method sa as not to have it hanging around.Does it make any difference? Absolutely no idea.Seat of the pants measurement is notoriously unreliable.I asked a wagon driver filling up at our local cheap independent petrol station what he thought "amigo it all comes out of the same refinery , the big brands are all franchises"
Shaynes transit story is interesting but an Italian tune up can help a diesel sometimes.

There was an independent test done a few years ago, by one of the motoring based TV programs, comparing different spec fuels from different brands. They used a Golf GTI under very strict and measured conditions for both power output and economy and the Shell Ultimate fuel came out on top with more BHP and MPG although the difference wasn‘t vast and had to be actually measured to be seen. I think it’s fair to assume that some vehicles will respond better than others with engine condition being a major factor.

“Super diesel is the equivelent of Super Unleaded. Shell call theirs “V Power”, BP call theirs “Ulitimate Diesel/Unleaded. The Super fuels are supposed to have higher octane/cetane ratings as well as other additives for a cleaner burn giving cleaner running which is why they cost more. With the current price crash they’re more or less down to what “standard” fuels used to be.
Thanks for clearing that up. I do vaguely remember seeing those, and think I avoided for cost, thinking it was sales nonsense for a rip off again. Will try next time I fill up, especially as you mention prices now.

So there's no harm in throwing in some well branded diesel cleaner every so often.

I also use super fuel. Have a BP close to me. I prefer using shell if I can, makes me feel better But I don't know if that's psychological, Esso I tend to not use too. but I stay clear from supermarket fuel. Although a mate of mine says it's exactly the same.
Odd this fuel supplier issue isn't it ? I once had a 6 month contract, that resulted in me using close to £100 of diesel a week. On my route was a Tesco filling station and always filled up there for convenience. The lc was always loaded with van vault and tools in 3rd row seat position, and I never had any issues starting ,idling, pulling power, compared to fuel bought elsewhere at any other time.
Year pays your money ..........scenario again ?

If you have a keen nose, have a sniff of so called super Diesel fuel, remarkably similar to the Millers stuff i mentioned above.
Not saying the additives are the same but the smell is, if they are the same adds it's a hell of a lot cheaper adding Millers than paying the extra for super fuel.
I tried super fuel for a while, never noticed any difference to my usual Morrisons stuff plus Millers/2T mix.

Shaynes transit story is interesting but an Italian tune up can help a diesel sometimes.

We are talking a Ford transit tipper that had no door locks and the keys left in the ignition taxed and insured for anyone to drive for years , i only drove it or seen it myself a handful of times and i'm aware some used homemade bio diesel in it . I think it was a 2.5 and you had to drive it like a drunk Italian just to make it move . The Wynn's caused some coughing and farting for a day but all agreed the truck was better for it .

If you have a keen nose, have a sniff of so called super Diesel fuel, remarkably similar to the Millers stuff i mentioned above.
Not saying the additives are the same but the smell is, if they are the same adds it's a hell of a lot cheaper adding Millers than paying the extra for super fuel.
I tried super fuel for a while, never noticed any difference to my usual Morrisons stuff plus Millers/2T mix.
Is that the Ecomax one ? Cheers.

That's the stuff, been through quite a few name changes over the years and still smells the same but is not as thick in its latest incarnation, if you splash it on your hands or clothes it takes eons to get the smell out.

Back