Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inner Front Axle Primary Shield / Seal? Advice please

898kor

Having owned a lot of Land Rover stuff I consider my CV fitting times to be among the best :icon-biggrin: but I've hit a stumbling block on the LC.

Following a recent twin CV break I have stripped down ready for the rebuild when new parts arrive, however, I noticed that on both sides there is a steel? inner shield (not the oil seal that runs on the half shafts).
Im guessing it serves to stop any breakage debris from running to the diff to CV or vice versa?

It looks like it is pressed into position with the diff out?

Any experience of refitting these?

Or should I just be brutal and wrag them out through the hub?

Inner Shield.jpg

An answer from Facebook:

"It is just a splash sheild for oil spraying off your axles. Its not of great importance and can be left/taken out"

Unfortunately Knucklehead they are!

After some searching around tinternet (your post included) it seems opinion is split.

Keep them if fitted, but if loose and not easily re-fitted then bin them.

Im going to have a stab at re-fitting but if the dont play then bin them and have some fun getting the long shaft in!

I have refitted these. They are a twat. And I have never seen them as a part. You need to go in from the diff end. I found that getting them round was difficult so I deliberately made them odd shaped. Then made a sort of tool to hammer them back up the toob reshaping them as they went. They retain oil up by the seals and also I suppose prevent oil wash when over on its side.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back in position :icon-biggrin: - the joy of having a hangover made me think out the box as I really could not be bothered to take of the diff.

The answer was one of those tools which sits at the back of the tool chest but when needed justifies the dust collection:

20140101_151059 (Medium).jpg

Slidehammer through the swivel housing and pull the shield in bit by bit :icon-cool:

Yep, that's pretty much what I did, but I made the slide hammer out of bits and bobs. Well done.

Back