Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Innertubes???

Ecky Thump

Garage
Okay guys I need a bit of help.

Whilst green laning in Wales I had a sharp piece of flint go through the side wall of one of my Grabbers.

The hole is really tiny and there is loads of tread left. In order not to waste the tyre I am thinking of putting a tube in it and putting it on a steel wheel as an emergency emergency spare.

None of the car tyre places around me can get a tube for a 285/75/16 and the commercial places only do the ones for 7.5 tonne trucks with the super long valve stem on them.

So, any ideas how I can resolve this?

Ecky Thump said:
So, any ideas how I can resolve this?
Throw it in the bin so when you need an emergency emergency tyre that one doesn't get you in trouble or kill you :thumbup:

Best option is to go to B&Q. Outside, in the garden center, normally near the ferns, they have soil. Get a couple bags and pickup a bag of seeding potatoes, and use it as a potato planter.

I think Homebase do the same.

I'm kind of getting the idea that maybe I need to ditch this one then :thumbdown:

So now I need a good one and yet again the tyre places around here can't get them :evil:

Can't it be vulcanised?

Chris

Chris said:
Can't it be vulcanised?
Physicaly? Probably. Legaly? I don't think so unless for off road use only.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
Legaly? I don't think so unless for off road use only.
Yeah, them Health & Safety types would really go off on a power-trip over this - you know how they get all righteous on you!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do what I have just done to a badly repaired almost new KL71. The tyre kept going down because the numpty who fixed it drilled the hole .5mm too big and the plug doesn't seal the gap properly. I just got a bottle of Ultraseal and put the recommended dose in through the valve. By the time I got home the leak was sealed and I will keep using it until I can get a replacement.

There is some in the tyre already. I'm assuming that becasue it is a sidewall the sealent doesn't reach that far.

It did take a long time to go down which let me reach a place of safety to do the change.

Don't use tubes on any tyre that you want to run at a low pressure at some stage.

At low pressure the tyre "walks" on the rim. With a tube, it rips the valve off the tube.

When I get a puncture on a tyre, I will temp plug it with a plug, but when back at home, I put a patch on the inside.

On a sidewall cut, put a gator in and keep it for a spare.

If ultraseal hasn't cured it then chances are the internal damage is greater than you think. I would either do what Henri says then and patch it from the inside and keep it as an emergency spare or if money allows just bite the bullet and get a replacement.

Sidewalls are funny old things that are under a massive amount of pressures and forces. They are basically the scaffolding of the tyre and once badly damaged they can become unstable.

you can get it repaired but the tyre can't then be used on the road. Some people tend to get them repaired and then use them as a temporary spare.

Henri, unfortunately the law here is a spot different with respect to tyre repairs - essentially they can be done, but must be done in adherence to specific laws and standards (a quote ... Any tyre repair should only be carried out by a trained professional. All our repairs are completed to meet the British Standards BSAU159F legislation)

Not many tyre places do this ...

Les - agree with the comment about tyre pressure and tubes - we did a trip to Botswana a while back and one of the vehicles was a Land Ro ..... Land Ro .... Land Ro .. damn - I can't even say it ;) anyway, one of those, and the driver had put tubes in tubeless tyres on alloy rims as a precaution and had 11 punctures on the tar before we even got to the off-road stuff - the tube got hot and ended up with friction holes in the tubes ... I think there was something like 21 punctures in total :lol: :lol:

So rather not do that ... :thumbdown:

Gary Stockton said:
Not many tyre places do this ...

I think they go to the extreme on that. Either because they scared of liability or just want to flog you a new tyre. Boss lady had, on two occasions, a nail square in the middle of a new tyre. They refused to repair it. One was slightly off centre, same thing.

In contrast, my recent trip back to SA I noticed a bulge in my mom's tyre. She had a puncture that repaired. Nail was on the "corner" (shoulder / tread area) and they repaired it. Front tyre to boot. (Not indicative of SA, just the tw@t of a Mr Exhaust.) On another tyre they had repaired the sidewall. :twisted:

Yep - SWMBO's Yaris had a puncture on a front tyre shoulder 2 months ago - I've plugged it and stuck it on the back and all remains well - no pressure drop, nothing .... so far!! :lol:

Gary Stockton said:
and the driver had put tubes in tubeless tyres on alloy rims as a precaution and had 11 punctures on the tar before we even got to the off-road stuff - the tube got hot and ended up with friction holes in the tubes ... I think there was something like 21 punctures in total :lol: :lol:

So rather not do that ... :thumbdown:
If the tube was in a tubeless tyre how did he know there was a puncture, surely the tyre wouldn't deflate even if the tube had a hole, wouldn't the tubeless function have kept the tyre up :confusion-confused:
Chas

Presumably the valve stem would get dislodged when the tube went flat and out goes the air?

Andrew Prince said:
Presumably the valve stem would get dislodged when the tube went flat and out goes the air?
:doh: I forgot about the different type of valve stems.
Chas

Yep - exactly what happened - one valve even ripped off ... was a good laugh - lot's of enforced beer stops :lol:

Well guys, got to admit, i'm a bit pi**ed off about losing a tyre but so be it.

I'll just get a new one and make a flower pot.
I appreciate those who have told me of ways to save the tyre but i've decided to be better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the input folks :D

Back