Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

installing SKF speedi sleeve on half shaft.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
just a quick write up on using a SKF speedi sleeve on a half shaft.

after having a leaky steering knuckle for ages now I was on the verge of ordering a new half shaft when I came across these, so for under thirty quid I thought I would give them a try.

skf.jpg

here is the worn and pitted surface that the seal runs on.
skf1.jpg

skf2.jpg

the sleeve is stainless steel, I used Loctite bearing adhesive to fill any gaps and seal the sleeve. it is very malleable and can shape to the wear grooves if these are not filled in. I used plastic plumbers waste pipe to knock the sleeve on.

skf3.jpg

in this application the lip needs to be removed, put a small nip with a pair of good side cutters and carefully pull it off. be careful doing this, try to pull it slightly away from the sleeve to save deforming it too much, its like opening a can of spam..

skf5.jpg

removing the lip did leave a slightly raised edge which I carefully tapped down with a soft hammer.
skf6.jpg
skf7.jpg

all done. I pushed a new seal over the half shaft on the bench and it did pick up a little on the sleeve, I very carefully sanded the leading edge of the sleeve with some very fine wet and dry and this helped. next time I will tap the sleeve from the other end of the shaft so that the seal is not going over the edge that has had the lip removed to see if it will make any difference.

ill give it a few thousand miles and report back on if the sleeve worked or not.

Chris has used these in the past too, and he's not posted any adverse comments since.

IIRC, he used a filler to regulate the shaft before fitting.

Looking good CG

Been using these for years, mainly on commercials, always found them to be successful although not so much in recent times as both seal and shaft materials seem to have improved.

Used these many times on electric motors and other shafts. Always good.

That sharp looked rather nasty CG. Not the usual seal groove you would expect.

Back