Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

INSURANCE RENEWAL

I did try the greenlaning route and they said they'd get back to me [they seem to be deciding what "off-road" means]. Does Greenlaning mean the same across europe i.r. you are following a track in Spain - is that offroad or on road?

briefly, as it's been discussed a few times, anything that is classed as a public road has to be covered. What the road is covered with is of no importance. greenlanes are public roads.
There might be a fight though about it at claim time.

As for Chris Knott - theirs is a 4x4 cover which is everything 4x4 (P&P, private places such as Limcomb etc) so long as it is not competitive or commercial. Other than that, they happy with it all. All mods are ok (tell them first) so long as it does not increase BHP of engine.
You have to ask for the 4x4 offroad cover though, it was not the "normal" cover. There was no difference in the price between normal and 4x4.

As for "tracks" in Spain, if it is a legal road, then any insurance should cover it. They can't pick and choose (can they? :shock: )

Carole Nash got back to me and swore black and blue [or maybe that was me? :evil: ] that green lanes were not roads so i would not be covered. They also said they believe I was mis-sold by the first person I spoke to but they are having to check the recording with compliance which will take some weeks cos they are short-staffed....this time i recorded all of the conversations included being told i was probably mis-sold. Weird that they cover motorbikes off road and not 4wds - i know which one i'd feel safer in. They are pretty stupid to think I would call up to ask for 4wd insurance, explain usage, and list mods simply for motorway driving :cry: . They have however said once they find the tape of the first conversation i'll probably be due a refund.

Noncense a "green Lane" I quote from Wiki:
"Green lane" is A Byway Open to All Traffic (BOAT) which can be used by 4x4s (SUVs) and motorcyclists (that are road legal - because it has the same rights as any "normal" road).

so whatever they say is wrong, you can drive a Ford Fiesta up Strata Florida (would not recommend it though) and be covered by your insurance.
So called Green Lanes are normal (unsurfaced) public roads in the UK and therefore not classed as off-road.

Off-road coverage on your insurance is only needed for quarry's and designated off-road sites.

Hello all,

Well I decided to go with NFU.
I had NFU a couple of years ago, now back to them.
The cheapest quote for my 120, (2005 ) was 336.00 with Swift cover.
However the policy is very skinny.
So I paid the extra 100.00 and paid NFU 431.00.

NFU give me unlimited European driving cover.
Swift gave me 3 days., and need to buy the rest, which I bet, aint cheap.

Graham.

I have had so much fun with Insurance companies i'm tempted to start a new thread listing my experience and their excuses. The latest was Frank Pickles Insurance who balked at insuring me because the roof tent was an obvious indication that I'm about to head off overlanding tomorrow and they don't cover 4WD with roof-tents for that reason. :roll: :!: Adrian Flux thinks they have given me a good deal at £1600 :evil: . Chris Knott are still not getting back to me - neither are Academy Insurance. Yeah, yeah, I know it's London but I can't be the only person with a modified 4wd in a City this size and I assume they are all driving around insured....or maybe not. :?: :?: :?:

The problem with insurance brokers is that they don't tell you what is blocking your application because you could therefore see if it costs out to fix it i.e. a couple have asked if the truck is my second vehicle. It isn't, but if that helped me secure cover I'd buy a second hand "first" car which has little road tax and running costs so i could secure insurance on the truck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like you should take the RTT off - the price difference between your quote and "normal" LC insurance would buy you a new RTT in a year...

Have you tried 2Gether FS? I am with them, I live in London etc and they insure me for laning, off-roading (non-competitive), mods etc. My premium is MUCH less than your Flux quote ;)

Cheers,

I'm not in London but I paid half that with someone who burnt out their 30k D3 on the policy!

Do you have to tell an insurance company you have a roof tent fitted? (if you don't want the tent insured that is)

Good question, they are bolted / clamped on not just temporarily strapped on like other roof luggage so maybe we should?

I was told I should declare RTT as a mod but that insurers are actually only worried about power train mods. 'Cept Frank Pickles of course who ran a mile when I declared it.

I'm now looking to reinsure for the year - I'm currently with 2gether, but after all the glowing reports re NFU have decided to give them a go.

Tell you waht - they've certainly got the poor cousins manning the stalls north of the border. Despite telling them numerous times that the vehicle never goes off-road in the UK, and maybe goes on GreenLanes for 5% of the time, they've just phoned and asked what % of it's time it goes off-road in the UK ...

don't seem to give a hoot about the mods - just the off-road bit :)

Very weird - and am about to lose patience with them for ineptitude ... I mean, just how difficult is this, really?

So - do we start our own Mutual Society for Toyota 4x4 Insurance or what??

And another phone call...

'Do you go on the Green Lane in order to get to your house?'

Hoo boy ....!!

No - a Green Lane is a BOAT - oh, never mind - I do it for the fun of it :D

Finally - a quote from NFU - £542.18 all in, including all the mods. Just need to check on Green Card inclusion.

Adrian Flux came in at £420 on their automatic system (same list of mods), so that may change a bit.

Now to try figure out which one is best :x

NFU Mutual for me.

They are not the cheapest, but they are 'hassle free' and you have to put a price on that.
My 120 fully comp, worked out about £398.
I opted for an additional £200 excess, ontop of the standard excess.

Graham

I got a quote from NFU which was a bit high, and one from Adrian Flux which was OK, so I called Adrian Flux, who then requoted and came out 60% more expensive than their original quote :shock: :twisted:

So have just renewed with NFU - with confirmed Green Card .....

Which company is best for breakdown uk cover and also european breakdown cover?

Frank

Just renewed with Adrian Flux. £565 compared with NFU's quote this year £660. Last year NFU was around £460. Still have maximum NCD (as last year), so prices are definitely going up. My policy from Adrian Flux includes green card, green lanes, etc.

My insurance renewal came through this week.... Pretty scary stuff! A straight renewal of my current policy was a nifty £587 :shock: (up from something around the £260 mark a year ago!)

2Gether FS, who I am with, have some "special" scheme for off-road 4x4s running that gave me a renewal premium of £385. A huge jump from last year but better than it might have been. :violin:

FWIW Adrian Flux said that the best they could do was around £520. NFU declined to quote because of my promixity to London and my LC not living in a garage...

Chatting to Dominic at 2Gether, he said that insurance costs have gone up across the board by 35-40% this year. He said that he has not done a single renewal this year where the premium has gone down - every single one has gone up :?
Hopefully I never have to put 2Gether to the test with a major claim but they do cover mods and provide a Green Card :thumbup:

Cheers,

Back