Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Insurance

Interesting to hear how much these costs vary. Fully comprehensive on my 90 is AUD590 (GBP320) for any driver. That's with an agreed value of about AUD7k.

Oddly enough my car (bottom of the range manual 2.0 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer) is over AUD800 (GBP440) and it's only insured for AUD5k.

Well after my initial post commenting on the one pence reduction in insurance, the cost for my LC is £252 so quite a bit lower than many who have commented. In that case I’ll just shut up

Had been with Swinton for around 20 years, always cheap for my 78 import with business use.
When I changed to the 120, without the buisness use, (newer vehicle and bigger engine taken into consideration) the 1st year they had me for £500, second year around £400, this year approaching £500 again. They wouldn't negotiate and were not customer friendly at all, so I ditched them and went to NFU Mutual, £243 for the same comprehensive cover.
Karl2000 recommended Admiral which were around £9 dearer, great price, but NFU has a local office, so went with them.
Like for like insurance, no fees because they are the actual insurance company, not a broker, and depending on their yearly profits they return a percentage on your renewal.
That remains to be seen and how much, but I was well pleased with their premium anyway.
My 20 years with Swinton were wasted, as Higgy says, there is no loyalty consideration at all.

Last edited:
With Admiral, customer care n response is good. I used them for house plumbing emergency once. Never used them for cars though.

Phew! --mine was never that much, even when I was living in the centre of Manchester right next to crime-free Moss Side [cough! cough!]. I know the insurance premiums game is all a bit of a random number generator. But the usual ways to squeeze it are:

1: Long No Claims Bonus -- Oddly enough, the last two times I've insured my motor, they've said they don't need to see any proof of my no claims. Which is good at the time. But may get troublesome if, in a couple of years I get a company that does want proof of my no claims and the last actual written one I've got is from several years ago

2: Voluntary Excess -- I always bump that up to the maximum possible. Let's face it, the fuckers never pay out anyway, if they can help it. So you might as well say you'll pay the first £1000 of any claim yourself, as that's what you'll end up doing anyway.

3: Mileage -- I usually say 5000. Again, my last two insurance companies haven't asked for any proof of that. The one before that did ask me to submit my odometer readings every year when I renewed the policy and the small print did say they could add extra charges if I went over my stated annual mileage. A couple of times I did and they didn't bother. So I'd always go for the lowest estimated mileage you can get away with. I don't do huge mileages anyway. So 5000 / year isn't ridiculously inaccurate.

4: Comparison Sites -- I've tried a few of them and the meerkat one does seem to return better quotes than confused.com. The good thing about the comparison sites is you can keep going back and changing the odd detail to see if it makes any difference. A lot of the time things you think would make a big difference don't and things you think would be irrelevant can change the quote by a fair bit

5: Security --always say you've got a factory fitted alarm and immobiliser. Sometimes you can say you've self-fitted a tracker [I had a no-brand Chinese one in my camper van that cost me £25 off eBay] Sometimes they'll only let you select your tracker from a list of approved ones.

6: Parking --say its parked overnight somewhere secure. On-street parking will push your premiums way up. At my previous gaff, my motor was parked in a communal carpark by an inner city block of flats. As the carpark had a gate on it, I described it as a 'locked compound' or 'secure carpark' when applying for insurance quotes. I didn't think it worth mentioning that the lock on the gate could be opened by a 4 year old with a screwdriver and that no fecker ever closed it anyway. Don't want to confuse these issues with too much data!

7: Modifications --never say you've modified your vehicle in any way. Some insurance companies will consider even things like putting on a roof rack or non-factory tyres to be a 'modification' and adjust their prices skywards, accordingly.

8: Fully Comprehensive --Always go fully comp. The good old days of getting a lower quote if you go for a barebones '3rd Party Only' policy are long gone. And most insurance companies will think you're slightly dodgy if you ask for that type of policy. It's actually usually cheaper to insure fully comp than 3rd party only.

BTW -- for the people whose renewals have stayed the same this year, or actually gone down by a whole penny, this is probably the reason:

4: Comparison Sites -- I've tried a few of them and the meerkat one does seem to return better quotes than confused.com. The good thing about the comparison sites is you can keep going back and changing the odd detail to see if it makes any difference. A lot of the time things you think would make a big difference don't and things you think would be irrelevant can change the quote by a fair bit

If you need to keep your research anonymous, get a temp email from 10 Minute Mail - Free Anonymous Temporary email - 10 Minute Mail - Free Anonymous Temporary email - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another good thing about the comparison sites is that, once you've got all your details stored there, you can quickly get quotes for vehicles you've not bought yet, by just editing the previous quote and putting in the new reg no.. So, when [metaphorically] pressing my nose against the shop window on eBay or Autotrader, it's handy for quickly checking out whether I could afford to insure the motor I'm looking at in the first place.

Again, that can give your the impression you're dealing with a random number generator. When I was vainly looking for my Collie a while back and considering other options, I was getting wildly different quotes for similar spec vehicles, from different manufacturers. I remember getting a quote for a Nissan Patrol which was almost double that for a Land Cruiser of the same year and engine size.

Which also reminds me. To add to my previous...

9: Insure in Advance --maybe not relevant to renewals. But, if taking it a policy on a vehicle you've yet to buy, the longer in advance you get a quote, the cheaper it is.

When I bought my van, I got a quote for a policy to start in a day's time, which was when I expected to pick it up. On the test drive, I'd spotted a ball joint needed replacing, so got them to do that before I picked it up. They were supposed to have it done for the next day but rang me and said it would take a week, as they'd had to order the part. So I put the proposed insurance start date off by another week and the quote went down by something like £80.

Last edited:
I'm with admiral, my insurance dropped by £1000 across all the cars in the household this year. They really slashed the prices back. No one else can get anywhere near with my postcode and cars. Most of the quotes I was getting for the LC were about the same as I'm paying for three cars with admiral.

7: Modifications --never say you've modified your vehicle in any way. Some insurance ompanies will consider even things like putting on a roof rack or non-factory tyres to be a 'modification' and adjust their prices skywards, accordingly.
Unless you drive a modified vehicle. My car is, and the first thing the garage asked when I had to make a claim was "are these modifications declared". They are so I was fine, otherwise, who knows. FWIW said car with mods is currectly costing £336 to insure, so they don't always cripple you, that said it does narrow the field of insurers a lot.

I've declared modifications i haven't done yet just to save phoning them mid term .

When my daughter and her partner were desperate to find affordable insurance after they both had at fault accidents in the same year the more she searched the higher the quotes got , which reminds me of something i read years ago about searching for loans . Its recorded on your credit file so they can weigh up how much they might squeeze you for .

In my daughters case letting insurance expire and not searching for any insurance for a month knocked about £500 off the cost .

Reactions: Raj
Beware of not declaring modifications as you’ll not be covered by your policy if you don’t...and sometimes even if you do! I declared all mods to Admiral when I bought my FJ, when I came to renew I questioned that there was no mention of the suspension lift and they told me they didn’t cover vehicles with a lift…but had been told about it so presumably I’d paid for a year and would not actually have been insured. I declare everything, even stuff they don’t care about and do so in writing so there is no dispute on what is done or it’s value.

Tow bar is an obvious one that gets missed, although most insurers are not interested anyway.

I've declared modifications i haven't done yet just to save phoning them mid term .

You might need to be careful with that, because the vehicle you're currently running (without all the mods) isn't the one you've told them you're running.

As we all know, insurance companies look for any excuse when it comes to paying out.

When my daughter and her partner were desperate to find affordable insurance after they both had at fault accidents in the same year the more she searched the higher the quotes got , which reminds me of something i read years ago about searching for loans . Its recorded on your credit file so they can weigh up how much they might squeeze you for .

This is why its a good idea to use the comparison sites with anonymous data, associated with an anonymous account / email address. Postcode similar to yours but not the same, etc etc. Then all your searches cannot be attributed to you.

Tow bar is an obvious one that gets missed, although most insurers are not interested anyway.
Yep, and a different stereo. Even a dog cage in the boot is a modification as are roof bars. Even changing your tyres for a different brand than OE fitment is a modification technically.

You might need to be careful with that, because the vehicle you're currently running (without all the mods) isn't the one you've told them you're running.

As we all know, insurance companies look for any excuse when it comes to paying out.
Legally they can't deny a claim based on faulty data unless they would not have covered you if you had entered correct data, they can take a difference in premium out of your claim though. That's more likely with a modified vehicle being declared unmodified than the other way.

Surely insurance companies rely on truthful/accurate data/info supplied, anything other is their lever for wriggling out of claims, especially those knowingly giving wrong/false info.

The law was also changed a few years ago, in that modifications have to be material to the claim - most insurance companies now have a pretty reasonable track record on paying out as long as its a legitimate claim (some publish their claims admittance stats for example). The idea of insurance companies wriggling out of claims completely is largely a thing of the past... though they may try to play hardball on you when it comes to insured value etc.

Apart from the law there will be a contract of terms between you and the insurance company which will say (basically) that you have to give them the truth else the policy is void. So maybe the law change tries to mitigate some of that but it won't be a license to lie.

I haven't seen the details of the law though.

I think insurance companies not paying out is still a problem though, just listen to LBC legal hour/consumer hour each week!

Back