Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Intercooler Installation

I've been thinking about this addition for a while and bought this off EBay. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=120994910317

Got it in a couple of days and just considering what pipes to get and what routing. Seems nicely made. So come on, tell me what mistake I've made in buying it as it was so cheap?

I'll probably get a manifold connection plate made up by one of my customers and get a bend tig welded on nicely to smooth out the flow. I've seen some made up ones that look a bit too sharply bent. I'm considering keeping to the 3" or possibly going up to 80mm to try and keep flow losses down to a minimum. Will probably get ally pipes tig welded together and get silicone connections from the wobbly bits to the fixed. I figure I might cut off the engine lifting eye at the front and make up a bolt on eye of some sort to give the required room and possibly flatten the pipe a little in places. The bit I am not so keen on is the apparent need to go down and under with two U shaped pipes to get to the cooler.

This is all my musings and theory BTW, no mock ups or further investigation has been done yet but whatever happens, it's got to work well and not get in the way of mounting a Husky 10 winch behind one of Karl's nicely made winch bumpers.

I've got an intercooler from them on my track car, works very well

But if I was going to get something bespoke I'd give Graham at http://www.grsmotorsport.co.uk/ a call. Graham is an aerospace engineer who has quietly been at the forefront of the intercooler business in the UK and elsewhere for years.

Richard,

Not sure you've made a mistake anywhere. Interesting discussion with an intercooler "fundi" who suggested 65mm piping is the optimum size for IC's. The flow rate of the cooler being of primary importance.

I'm moving towards a top mounted intercooler with a bonnet scoop as I don't want to experience any more turbo lag than the 8o already has ad I really like the look of a bonnet scoop on the 80.

Last edited:
Hmm, lots of good info on post 20, has made me think. Good to know yours works well Mark. I guess aside from getting holes in or putting too many losses in the air path, surely there's not too much to go wrong if sized up correctly etc. The only concern I can see is damage, and if one kept the original over engine air intake marked 'Turbo' and a few tools, surely things could be reverted if catastrophe struck in the back of beyond?

I must say though, a top mount does look so much easier and neater in the engine bay, bonnet scoop aside. The front mount does look neater from outside in my view, subtle extra power. [emoji48]

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this addition for a while and bought this off EBay. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=120994910317

Got it in a couple of days and just considering what pipes to get and what routing. Seems nicely made. So come on, tell me what mistake I've made in buying it as it was so cheap?

I'll probably get a manifold connection plate made up by one of my customers and get a bend tig welded on nicely to smooth out the flow. I've seen some made up ones that look a bit too sharply bent. I'm considering keeping to the 3" or possibly going up to 80mm to try and keep flow losses down to a minimum. Will probably get ally pipes tig welded together and get silicone connections from the wobbly bits to the fixed. I figure I might cut off the engine lifting eye at the front and make up a bolt on eye of some sort to give the required room and possibly flatten the pipe a little in places. The bit I am not so keen on is the apparent need to go down and under with two U shaped pipes to get to the cooler.

This is all my musings and theory BTW, no mock ups or further investigation has been done yet but whatever happens, it's got to work well and not get in the way of mounting a Husky 10 winch behind one of Karl's nicely made winch bumpers.

That core will probably give some benefit. The only problems you may have is actually mounting it as it's not made specifically for the LC and it may not be large enough to give full benefit to the much bigger engine.
HPD do a front mount IC kit which has been designed not to interfere with winch fitting and which routes the pipes through the rad support panel instead of down under it so no danger of damaging the pipes off road.

I did wonder that TowPack, I looked at a few including the ones linked to earlier in this thread which I think are the ones appearing on EBay and they look to be of equal section although are longer. I'm now toying with the idea of slicing it in half and mounting it on top either with both bits in parallel or as a dual pass, but I do fear I might be reinventing the wheel here. Again, just thinking out loud.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
One good thing about the 24 valve LC's (not sure about the 12 valve models) is the low down fuelling is easily tweakable which means you can compensate to a large degree for any turbo lag introduced by fitting an IC. If/when I fit one it will be a proven front mount kit from a reputable supplier or even fitted by them but I never go off road other than the very occasional modest of green lanes. The advice given in post 20 regarding top mounted IC's for serious offroading obviously makes sense, if you can live with a hole in the bonnet.

I still question the hole in the bonnet scenario. None of the newer LCs have that so there must be a way to pull air from the front up and force it down through a shroud into the IC as per the 120 or 150 models do. Two biggish heat-proof silicon pipes I reckon should do it ... Just got to suss out the routing.

Forced induction via a bottom-mounted fan, or pair for redundancy, should certainly help [emoji2]

Last edited:
I would suggest having a read of the ih8mud thread below. Lots of good information and data comparing various set-ups. From my reading of the thread the two best options in order of efficiency are a WTA such as the XXi (http://xxiindustries.com/XXi_WTA_Intercooler.html#80_series_intercooler_kits) or a good front mount such as the Allisport.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-official-1hdt-intercooler-thread.514067/

Last edited:
I have the Safari Intercooler and injector pump JV tuned...... and I'm happy with the end result.

Think id go top mount. Embrace the scoop..

Adding my 2c, I'd go with a 'refined' aftermarket front mount I/C system such as the Safari or Allisport. Cost notwithstanding, I'd go with the Safari option because it's tried and tested in hot conditions.

For an overlander, I think front-mount is the way to go - no major risks in getting clogged by mud and it's not like the 80 struggles for air-flow over the rad, so ample airflow is a given. The top mount is a bit of a squeeze coupled with plastic surgery to the bonnet. The top mount also has the issue of heat soak from the big fat block of hot metal sitting immediately underneath it, which compromises the I/C's efficiency. Also, how good is the airflow over the bonnet of an 80? Turbulent air rolling over the bonnet scoop is not going to do a good job. Theoretically a benefit of a top mount is shorter pipe runs. Swings and roundabouts....

Lazz, I saw your post on LCCSA on this topic - my guess is your best (only?) option in sunny SA will be to get a custom fitted I/C, aka home brew kit:wtf: Unless you get hold of a Safari kit to fit.

Howzit Andrew,

Thought you'd gone AWOL ! Haven't heard from you for ages.

Yep there are one or 2 solutions to this, and I will decide carefully before finalising choice. I really want a bespoke system that look as factory as possible. I hate the look of the blue/red plumbers pipes of the Allisport version.

Grant, interesting post...why/how. Any info I can read?

Comments were based on a conversation with Julian V last year. Might be worth a phone call to him. He had based the improved turbo responsiveness on the Alisport intercoolers he fits regularly.

Sorry I can't be of any more help on this one.

I agree on the look of the Allisport system. The two top pipes over the engine would look much better if they were one piece mandrel formed rather than straight lengths welded together and linked with silicone hoses. The Safari and HPD systems look much neater but are quite a bit more expensive. No doubting the performance of the Allisport system though. JMO

I too don't really like the silicone joiners, or more to the point too many in garish colours. I would be looking at getting most welded ally pipes with black silicone hoses where necessary. I really don't want a boy racer look, either externally or under the bonnet. Winch fitting is going to take careful thought as is the IC itself, but I do think it could work.

I have a custom front mount IC. I cannot comment on the performance difference between the front and top mount but I can say that the length of the pipes did make a marginal difference in terms of "Lag" if I can call it that. You also need to consider the number of bends in the pipes where you will need to join with siliconepipes and the possibility of boot leaks. Use the best clamps you can get your hands on.

Good luck

I assume you had yours made up in Jo'burg then? Can you pop up the details as I suspect Olazz may want to contact them if he has no joy here.

On of the things that puts me off the Safari one is the jiggery-pokery that has to be done. But maybe that gives better routing.

Edit:

http://www.safarisnorkel.com/intercooler/sc1hdft/sc1hdft.htm

Link to Safari

Last edited:
Turbo Direct for the intercooler (you will need to weld the mouting brackets on) and then the painstaking process to weld the aluminum pipes and bends to fit 100%

I like the look of the Safari kit, especially the cast ally cranked 'crossover' pipe, however it all looks like it used the same diameter pipe work (I may be wrong here) all through. I plan to go up a size, maybe 2 to either 76mm 3" or 80mm depending on space. It also looks like Safari drop down under the radiator as there are two U bends. I've not yet found an other certain way of doing it. I do like the larger amount of air paths in the IC compared to a horizontal one, together with the shorter path this should help keep losses down.

The turbo lag could be down to losing a certain amount of pressure across the IC due to the cooler air molecules taking up less space, being tighter packed and therefore pressure being slightly reduced. Turbo boost may need to be increased to counteract this but would probably not totally remove the lag, a faster spooling turbo may be the answer, but I can't see many going this route, I certainly won't be on cost alone. A dump valve would keep the turbo spinning, but I don't want a truck that sneezes every time I take my foot off thank you.

Back