Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Interior lighting

clivehorridge

Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
Hi, can anyone advise please.

My truck has 3 interior light units in the headlining.

The front one is switchable only, the middle and rear have 3 switch positions, off, door and on.

They both work in the on position, but when switched to door, the middle one comes on with the front right door open, but not the left, and the rear one comes on with the left rear door open but not the right.

Question:
Is the middle one only activated by the front doors and the rear one activated by the back doors? It's the only explanation for me and I need to clean/replace the faulty door switches.

I was expecting them both to come on with any door open, but I guess that's not how they're wired :think:

They've never worked properly since getting the truck 7 years ago....:whistle::oops:

I'd appreciate any useful comments... :icon-biggrin:

On my 80 both lights come on with any door open, I would look for dodgy switches on the doors that don't put on lights. No idea why both lights don't come on together though.

My rear light comes on with either the tailgate or the rear doors. The centre one with the front doors and the front one needs the switch pressing.
The lights in the doors come on front and rear split.

I've had to remove the door switches before and clean them before and had a wiring issue to the right rear door lamp, earth wire and corroded where they join in the loom along the inner sill area, have a sort of crimped connection.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My rear light comes on with either the tailgate or the rear doors. The centre one with the front doors and the front one needs the switch pressing.
The lights in the doors come on front and rear split.

I've had to remove the door switches before and clean them before and had a wiring issue to the right rear door lamp, earth wire and corroded where they join in the loom along the inner sill area, have a sort of crimped connection.

Thanks Gary, that makes sense. You're showing off a bit without realizing it, because mine doesn't have any lights in the doors, my truck is a bit basic to say the least, but I do have a ciggy lighter to show off! As a matter of interest, where are the door lights mounted, in the bottom strip facing downwards?

Anyway, the front doors/middle light and rear doors/rear light set-up seems to be the same on mine, so that narrows it down to two dodgy door switches :dance:.

I also have rear barn doors instead of the tailgate, so maybe there's a dodgy switch there, too.

Cheers!

Last edited:
That's where I had a wiring issue, next to the right side 'B' post, crimp connector had corroded breaking the circuit, dirty switches too.
20131213_213223.jpg

Just took some pics as easier lol
Front
20141020_185407.jpg

Rear
20141020_185419.jpg

they need led bulbs tbh when I get round to it, give a nice glow off the leather trim :lol:

The swith for the tailgate on mine is part of the latch mechanism btw, not sure what yours will have being barn doors.

Blimey Gary, you've really gone to some trouble there, thanks mate!

I might try to get some after market lights to mimic them, I'm often stepping out into the unknown, and it's likely soft and smelly up country! :lol:

The wiring pic is an old pic, 80 just outside the front of the house mate so no trouble. Would've taken longer to describe the location lol.

Iirc the door switches have a live feed and earth to the body where bolt on?

I'm going to wire up some ambient lights in the back, connect them so come on with the exterior lights. It's really dark back there on a night with the tinted glass (bad enough during the day) won't be bright just a slight orange glow. Got some small leds that I've collected from work.

Back