Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Internet speed

The differences between different countries is amazing!

It looks like I'm lucky with service and price, by the sound of it.

It seems that less developed countries (such as Romania), installing communications infrastructure, have the advantage that they can install something modern and efficient from the off.

Whereas, more developed countries (such as the UK and the US) are propping up the legacy and liability of older cable-based systems.

It's all about money at the end of the day.

Like has been said - move to Virgin Media if you want speed. Without fail I get 210Mb/s at home (I'm on a 200Mb connection) and have no throttling issues.

Customer service is also ok - used to be India but has been brought back to UK. (Well, whenever I call I get an English person)

Like has been said - move to Virgin Media if you want speed. Without fail I get 210Mb/s at home (I'm on a 200Mb connection) and have no throttling issues.

Customer service is also ok - used to be India but has been brought back to UK. (Well, whenever I call I get an English person)

I have virgin on a 150mb connection in south east london (SE25) and it definitely gets throtted sometimes down to less than 10mb. So it's area dependent I guess.

Must be then. I download (backups from this server) around 50GB every day. That's over and above the other downloads which happen during the the week which has a TB figure to it. Without fail it holds in there.

Maybe SE25 is quite congested?

Is internet speed in terms of Mbs/sec a good guide? I get 1.59 regularly but it's quick enough for browsing and watching utube videos.

I have a long run through copper cables to the exchange. Could another provider offer a higher speed? If so why can't my current supplier match it ?

Then it's quick enough. If it works for you then you don't need more.

I have a long run through copper cables to the exchange. Could another provider offer a higher speed? If so why can't my current supplier match it ?
Virgin Media is the only real competition as they have their own network of fibre cables. That's why they can offer more. Everyone else, talktalk, plusnet, sky etc all use BT and will be able to offer <= what BT can.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/broadband-traffic-management

Well fair play to Talk Talk. The above link is an explanation from TT of their Traffic Management. I don't quite understand Section 2 but I think for the low speed I've got TT are giving me good service.

This is the first time I've browsed re:- Broadband Speed and availability and there's a lot of official info easily to hand so if one has any suspicions it's probably easy to solve these.

there is no virgin in this area :(

there is no virgin in this area :(

Non in this area either but that didn't stop them selling it to me a few years ago , I still get 3 latest offer letters a week from them which go in the bin unopened .

Yeh no virgin round here but still get letters like Shayne said

Their marketing dept is stupid. I too get letters.

While playing with speed tests i noticed my service or server or whatever comes from London which makes me think speed will not improve regardless of provider . Then it crossed my mind to have a look at my router and sure enough its outdated according to google , apparently N is crap and the new ac routers are better .
Right so whats best ac router then mr google ?.......... 140 quid :wtf::eusa-naughty: after a bit more reading i bought talktalks own super router 15 quid on ebay and after 5 hours of teething problems my com finally shows for the time i think signal strength excellent .

Early days but fingers crossed .

Is the new one also dualband / 5GHz? You should use that if your phone / laptop can see it. It'll be much faster.

If you're running over wireless then the router is quite important. You can settle for "ok" speeds with any old router but if you want fast then you have to get something which supports 5GHz - aka - DualBand - router. If it mentions AC then even better.

For wifi routers, Currys / PCWorld are not too bad. Maybe £5-10 over the normal online price but effort etc.

Or to avoid going through all the blurb look up Huawei HG635

"(802.11ac) "

Perfect. Should be better than your internet speed can provide :)

Warrington is all Virgin fibre.
We get unlimited, at 55 meg.
This costs us 19.99

Any slowdowns seem to be the server we be happening to download from, and not any cable issues

Graham

We currently get around 20mb on an 'upto 80 mb' fibre connection due to the distance from the fibre cabinet. The router is several years old now and 802.11n which is still more than capable speeds well in excess of the BB connection speed.

Back