Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Irelands Atlantic West Coast.

Has any date been decided yet?

Am thinking of going on Mon 7th Sept, the 0230 ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare, then drive to start point. I am ok gor 7 days, but given the frequency of ferries if people wanted shorter, or join up later in week, its easy.

:thumbup: I should be back from Romania by then.

Feels like tempting fate to express an interest when we only return from Romania about a week before departure so i will decide in September .

No problem, easy in / out is the plan.
0b3fecc7713c53f2f1d46b33c1d2f639.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks interesting. I may be back by then and would be nice to meetup along the way.

Ive been reading about rights of way - best advice is to buy the relevant os map and use the lanes coloured yellow - essentially minor roads or byways.

Read the folliwing on Donegal, altho I wasnt thinking of starting at that end and going north.
http://greenlanedonegal.town.ie/home

Pete

Minor change to start date - I am now going on Thursday 10th September - Ive been offered a job on the Wednesday that will pay for the trip so its a no-brainer!

Economy fare is £184 return, routes as before, add £20 for a cancellable ticket.

I spent about 3 hours in Stanfords, Bristol, as they have the entire Discovery series of maps in stock, but at £8.50 each might be a tad pricey (I reckon I need about 20!), could get the whole country on Rangemaster for less, but I really prefer old school mapping, and in an emergency you can wipe yer arse with an old map, but with an ipad.........

Routes - there are two different types of minor road that I am intending to use, 4m width or less than 4m width, and they are abundant, some are unpaved but they will still be smooth - I will be on road biased tyres.

Pete

I spent about 3 hours in Stanfords, Bristol, as they have the entire Discovery series of maps in stock, but at £8.50 each might be a tad pricey (I reckon I need about 20!), could get the whole country on Rangemaster for less, but I really prefer old school mapping, and in an emergency you can wipe yer arse with an old map, but with an ipad.........

They are about €9.50 (€7.71+23% VAT) here. That's about £6.60 at the moment.

I have a lot of sections in TIFF format if you want them. I can upload them online and give you ftp access. Let me know if you're interested.

Routes - there are two different types of minor road that I am intending to use, 4m width or less than 4m width, and they are abundant, some are unpaved but they will still be smooth - I will be on road biased tyres.

Might be of interest - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boreen

We loved achil island when we visited last September
Is that camping spot by road upto the loch ? I think I recognise it, I recognise the loch, we parked there for lunch and I caught and released a load of small trout fly fishing on that loch.

We stayed at lavelles campsite

Andy
It was the road up the hill (as you go out towards Keem beach) and off towards the Loch Accorymore above Dooagh town on the SW side.
Got a few small trout as well

Not yet, I have a week in Vercors end of June, then 2 weeks in Portugal/Spain in Oct, dont fancy it if the weather is too wild :)

Thelal - do you know Gort at all?

Not really. Only started exploring Ireland now that I'm back here.

Back