Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ironman springs

Dan W

Garage
Hello, I fitted some ironman springs and shocks just before Christmas last year and I was planning to apply some waxoyl tomorrow. So I've been rinsing the chassis down today and the springs are all losing their paint.
One in particular is losing the paint if you direct the hosepipe at it. It's not a high pressure hose or anything and I wondered if that's what's supposed to happen to them?
If it's not supposed to come off it seems like a very poor product to fail so quickly?

your not the first to say that, have a search round especially in the 90 section I am sure u will find others

The paint they use is not resistant to the salt we use, its a common fault with an otherwise good spring.

Pete

My ones were a dogs dinner in no time at all and just got worse and worse over the next couple of years!!!

IMG_4023_zpsf4b22677.jpg

IMG_4104_zpsa0be08b8.jpg

IMG_4112_zps382af9b2.jpg

The finish on them really is a crock of 5h17!!!

Luckily though I had to have them off for some work on the suspension, so I gave them a quick wire brush and paint. Any paint that I couldn't get off stayed on, I even left the stickers on the shocks and just painted over them! I painted the shocks with some one coat paint that I had in the shed with a brush and the coils I painted with rattle cans that I also had in the shed just touching them all up once fitted back on the truck. They've done about a thousand miles now and had a weekend off-road in Wales and still look good. Pleased I didn't waste any time or money getting them blasted and powder coated.

IMG_4119_zpsf87fc96c.jpg

IMG_4141_zps68a21113.jpg

IMG_4143_zps2e7431d2.jpg

The one on the right I've finished cleaning up and was painted as is.

IMG_4142_zpsd1ee2c56.jpg

IMG_4144_zps81d3d81d.jpg

IMG_4145_zpsb02e66ff.jpg

IMG_4148_zpsde7b0e25.jpg

IMG_4249_zpsa73e90a3.jpg

Last edited:
I have had several sets of IM springs and dampers and could hear them rusting as I opened the boxes. I do like the ride they give actually, but the finish is criminal. As is the response of the main supplier here in the UK.

Chris

Thanks for the replies, so it's normal then. I was just a bit shocked at how quickly they'd deteriorated, even though I'd cleaned them of road salt every time iI'd been out in it over winter.
Sae70- it looks like you've done an excellent job with them, what kind of paint did you use? Mine are now under about a metre of waxoyl but maybe when its worn off I might paint them again.
Chris- I like the ride as well but I was a bit worried that if the paint comes off that quick then the rest of the product might not inspire much confidence. To be honest I think it would require considerable effort to find paint as bad as this. Maybe if they read the forum it might inspire them to use something else?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back