Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is the Engine a write off

Hi StarCruiser,

I don't think Stanna is in the UK at the moment, and I don't think the Cruiser is either as he said, "Thanks guys. I will probably be leaving for the UK before I get too the cause" so we may never get to know the outcome, hope we do though it's intriguing.

It's better than a good detective novel :):):) and almost as good as Harry Potter.
Yes I did read that, hence asking exactly where it is. :)
He is clearly trying to help a situation as a third party, much as we are. There’s some excellent heads on this forum that know engines in general, cruiser engines and cruisers as a whole, but without results of investigations it is very difficult to assist further. Knowing the location can help the forum to know whether or not someone is close by and/or can help in any way, even with a replacement engine for example.

On the subject, once fully diagnosed as failed and uneconomical to repair, a known running second hand engine with compression figures if possible, or from a trusted source of which there are a few on this forum, is generally considered the best route to go.

Yes I did read that, hence asking exactly where it is. :)
He is clearly trying to help a situation as a third party, much as we are. There’s some excellent heads on this forum that know engines in general, cruiser engines and cruisers as a whole, but without results of investigations it is very difficult to assist further. Knowing the location can help the forum to know whether or not someone is close by and/or can help in any way, even with a replacement engine for example.

On the subject, once fully diagnosed as failed and uneconomical to repair, a known running second hand engine with compression figures if possible, or from a trusted source of which there are a few on this forum, is generally considered the best route to go.
Yes, a little frustrating that we don't know where the Land Cruiser is, and that we have no confirmation of the results of the checks you have asked for, but without the full picture we don't know what situation Stanna is in with regard to helping his friend, sounds like the LC is sitting on his friends drive in bits, with someone looking at it scratching their head.

I'm sure all will become clear in time.

Sorry fellas. Im in NSW Australia. Bit of a trek for anyone ha ha.
Ive found a couple of companies that import the used Jap engines and cost around 11k dollars (about £6500) plus fitting but I think I will be on the way home before then. On the upside he has a mate about 40 miles away (just down the road in Oz terms) who worked for Toyota in their workshops so I will bend his ear if I get chance.
Its the countryside (bush) here so 4 out of 5 vehicles are 4x4 and every third one of them is a Landcruiser. You fellas would love it with all the mods they do and giant bullbars (these are needed as you hit a Kangaroo at least once a week). Parts shouldn't be a problem but they are bloody expensive.
Going to take rocker cover off shortly to see if it uncovers anything.
Thanks for the help.

Sorry fellas. Im in NSW Australia. Bit of a trek for anyone ha ha.
Ive found a couple of companies that import the used Jap engines and cost around 11k dollars (about £6500) plus fitting but I think I will be on the way home before then. On the upside he has a mate about 40 miles away (just down the road in Oz terms) who worked for Toyota in their workshops so I will bend his ear if I get chance.
Its the countryside (bush) here so 4 out of 5 vehicles are 4x4 and every third one of them is a Landcruiser. You fellas would love it with all the mods they do and giant bullbars (these are needed as you hit a Kangaroo at least once a week). Parts shouldn't be a problem but they are bloody expensive.
Going to take rocker cover off shortly to see if it uncovers anything.
Thanks for the help.
G'Day,

You say "Bit of a trek" but there quite a few members 'Down Under' in Oz, shame about the Cricket & Rugby though ;););):):):)

As I said before, Good Luck.

As said there are many members in Oz.
£6500 sounds like stupid money for an engine. Some local knowledge may turn up a good one from a wrecked vehicle.

Online genuine parts are available from Amayama, Partsouq and Megazip. I’ve found Amayama easy to use and far cheaper than a Toyota dealership.

Do try and establish the extent of the damage before condemning the whole engine. It may be confined to one cylinder as in the case of a broken valve, or it may be completely seized as with oil starvation.

Good luck.

No, $10k-ish is pretty close to the right money for a 1HDFTE, the guy I sold my 4Runner to had his blow in his ute and that was the number he was quoted. A HDJ7x ute or troopy is often for sale for more than a VDJ7x is, which pretty much says it all... who wants VD? :p

A mate of a mate has just bought a HDJ100 from Pickles for $10k that has some panel damage on the rear quarter, front guard, A-pillar and the side - it has 360,000km on the clock...

Realistically for a drop in engine, you're going to need to be on to a yard every day and hope they have one coming in that day, because they'll go out almost straight away.

Front clips are still coming in sometimes from Japan (a front clip is A-pillar forward only), there's 3x listed on eBay for $14k.

There's 7 on eBay, ranging from $6k to the clips at $14k
Clicky here

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers guys.
Had rocker cover and rocker assembly off but no signs of anything untoward all looked sweet from what I could make out.
Any tips on checking out transmission problems with it off the car. Original garage suggested this was the problem but i am doubtful.

Last edited:
I would imagine if you are able to turn the input shaft, that there is no obvious damage twisting or bending to the shaft and you are able to select all gears and get no obvious tight spots or untoward noises while getting output from the transfer box then all should be well. Once again, draining and inspecting the oil for metal fragments would be a wise thing to do.

Broken crank is not to be ruled out.

Not a Cruiser, but years ago I had this happen and it had broken inside a main bearing journal.

There was nothing to see even with the sump off, we thought at least a broken con-rod or similar.

That would rotate by hand about 15 degrees or so, then lock up.

I guess with the gearbox off, this could be proven by rotating the pulley the amount it will go and having someone look at the flywheel. Alternately lock the flywheel and see if the crank pulley is solid.

Im going to pull the engine this week before I go home. Whatever the cause at this point it will have to come out.

Any advice or guides would be appreaciated.
Thanks All

Pretty easy to lift out, but rather heavy, close to 400 kg.
What takes longest is to remove things which are attached or in the way, and document locations for reassembly (photographic evidence :) ). The AC compressor can be removed without disconnecting the pipes, unscrew 4 small bolts, much faster than refilling coolant. Remove the air filter for easy access.
I lifted mine out with a 1 ton chain hoist fastened in a rafter in my garage.

Here you see that by removing the two intake hoses, you can undo the compressor and rest it where the air filter sits. (pics from a 2000 HDJ100-LHD)
IMG_6609-s.jpg

IMG_6731-s.jpg

Back