Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is there a CV joint test

The first replacements on mine were needed at 212k km, they were factry (as the Canadians would say) and the ones I fitted were Trail Gear from the USA, because I was doing a lot of ‘adventurous‘ offroad at the time, and they were recommended as the toughest. That may be so, for offroad - but they didn’t deliver a whole lot of mileage. Second replacements were installed at circa 300k km - some cheapies, don’t remember a name if they had one, probably made on a ship in the Black Sea... they've just died at 463k km. Now I don’t know what to fit, except it won’t be Trail Gear. Maybe another pair off the ship, or lash out the diamonds for the so-called genuines... whatever they are these days.
Sorry Shayne, can’t help you with what sort of job it is apart from you needing the magical 52mm socket, that’s all I know. I’m in cheap labour territory here, so someone else gets their hands dirty, and boy oh boy, as I understand it, it’s a mighty messy job to do so have a couple of kitchen rolls at the ready.

Last edited:
Plus a bucket and a gallon of petrol or so.

Typically I left it to the last minute and with a possible 8 hour drive tomorrow I figured it has to be done but these were all the local motorfactor had in stock , will it be enough or should I just keep packing with general purpose grease ?

Attachments

• A6095D45-DDDC-48E8-84E4-2EC7688F2138.jpeg
    A6095D45-DDDC-48E8-84E4-2EC7688F2138.jpeg
    470.2 KB · Views: 38
OK forget that question it looks enough to me but - why can't i get the shaft back in that last inch ?

f*ck it the lad across the road will swap it for his old disco in the morning

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It'll probably leave you stranded on the side of the road on the way there! And it'll make you wish you'd taken the cruiser.

OK forget that question it looks enough to me but - why can't i get the shaft back in that last inch ?
the half shaft or cv joint? both have to overcome the snap ring when re fitting. if everything is lined up correctly of course.

A child could do the job in 20 minutes with a ratchet drill if he watched this first

I wasted 4 hours lay on the road wearing a t-shirt in torrential rain trying to find a problem at the deep end of the half shaft :angry-screaming:

Back