Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Its beginning to bite !!

Even in smoke control areas you can burn wood legally. There's a huge list of exempt stoves.

We burn on ours all winter, but just let the thermostats on the radiators and underfloor heating take care of using less heating oil when the stove is on. I have looked at running some or all radiators off the stove, but it looks a potch when you have a sealed system as I do, or even just adding a small sepeate circuit once you get into heat sink radiators on gravity circuits. I don't find keeping the stove going onerous but I spend longer than I want to cutting, splitting and stacking wood, even having invested in a fairly big electric splitter.
ime running the heating by burning logs doesnt work that well, ok, is does eventually, but as you probable know burning wood the log burner and flue need to be up to temperature to throw out good heat and burn efficiently. all that cold water flowing around the log burner saps the heat and takes a lot of heating up, and keeping to that efficient temp range takes a lot of work and fuel.

coal on the other hand works pretty good. my parents house is heated entirely by an old rayburn, including the hot water, and my dads laughing his socks off now. hes been waiting for this moment for about 40 years.. :icon-smile:

up until about three years ago our house was heated by a 8kw log burner with a small clip in boiler running on coal, 4kw to the room and 4kw to the heating. i left the hot water on the combi just for convenience. this worked very well and soon heated up. once we had our first kid the mrs persuaded me to convert back to just a log burner and the heating running off the combi.

oh the price of convenience...

Society is all inclusive from the ivory towers to the gutters , it the social structure of things . Besides that we have communities and cities or chalk and cheese .

From what I saw in my life, Society in general weakened with globalisation and increase in materialism. It has more impact on urban population. When I was in college for the first time heard of DINKS as trending lifestyle. Why? Coz there is no time n money for family. Work, earn, accumulate gadgets n all crap from shops and be a winner of endless race where all are losers. With this kind of life there is no scope for society as even basic behaviour is faked just to win the race

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That brings back memories. I used to do a lot of caving in Wales in the 60's. I used to hitch hike down to Wales and camp underground for a week or so. Lost track of time altogether. One day I woke up and decided to go home only to find it pitch black outside and 3 o'clock in the morning.