Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

it's in the garage and boy do i need help...

outdoordan

Supporter
I'll start with the photos... please don't laugh.

20160611_165424.jpg 20160611_165433.jpg 20160611_171221.jpg 20160611_171319.jpg 20160611_171339.jpg 20160611_171350.jpg 20160611_174427.jpg 20160611_205901.jpg 20160611_213038.jpg 20160611_213045.jpg 20160611_214624.jpg

more photos... sorry if some are repeated... still getting my head round uploads.

20160610_190540.jpg 20160610_190558.jpg 20160610_190605.jpg 20160610_190622.jpg 20160610_190632.jpg 20160610_190700.jpg 20160610_190721.jpg 20160610_190740.jpg 20160611_165419.jpg

Did the short turn out to be in the rear lights ?

or did your central locking fail because the button the bonnet presses when closed wasn't touching the bonnet ?

Im out to work on it for a few hours now. Made good progress yesterday.

The basic situation is:

Vehicle: BJ73, Spanish, 4 cyl 2.5 TD VM4a with aircon.

CHGs blown. Don't know what's tracking into what, or if it was overheating, but my friend who transported it reports on the vehicles last long trip it was needing to be refilled with water every forty miles. No evidence of mayonaise in the oil so if im lucky it was pissing coolant out the side of one of the CHG's and not tracking into oil.

Dashboard dismantled.

Heater matrix, fan unit and air con removed. Aircon unit so badly mangled in removal as to be rendered u/s.

Bonnet, inner, outer wings, slam panel, front grill removed.

Water pump, all hoses, radiator, intercooler, other cooling matrixes removed.

Power steering pump and hoses removed.

Brake master cylinder removed and one of the brake lines twisted and snapped at master cylinder.

Rocker covers off engine.

Nuts and bolts all over the vehicle have been randomly loosened. Sub assemblies have been dismantled or "played" with.

Basically, the person from whom I bought it did not have the know how to take on a total rebuild which he told me had been his plan. Nothing is labeled or sorted and a fair amount of damage has been caused during the disassembly.

I have taken on several builds in my time and I'm used to coming accross gross amateur bodgery, but this one takes the feckin sausage. I'm genuinely staggered and a little impressed by the levels of scatterbrained incompetence that the previous owner has displayed.

Anyway <counts to ten>... I have to let it go and crack on.

If anyone has any photos of dash assmbly projects and engine compartment photos I'd be really grateful.

I've got a few from my 2010 project but know I'll need more.

Can anyone identify the black relay in the photos? And also the little white button? The button looks like it lives somewhere near the steering column or lower drivers dash area.

Thanks for looking. I'm guessing this will become a kind of re-build thread. Also, if anyone has any questions or needs practical help with 4cyl VMs just ask... I've rebuilt the top end of one of these twice now and am about to do it again. Not bad engines and reasonably easy to work on.

Cheers,

OD

That looks like one hell of a project! :wtf:

What country are you in?

If your in a country with 73's/74's maybe you could find some one else who owns one through a local 4wd club/facebook page as I'm sure having one to compare to in the flesh would make your task a lot easier. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That looks like one hell of a project! :wtf:

What country are you in?

If your in a country with 73's/74's maybe you could find some one else who owns one through a local 4wd club/facebook page as I'm sure having one to compare to in the flesh would make your task a lot easier. :think:

I'm in the UK Ben. South Wales. Are there many/any other BJ73 owners in the UK?

Cheers

OD

You should update your profile to have your location in. :icon-wink:

There a pretty rare beast in the UK. The only UK owner I can think of would be @iwan_t24 I think hes got a mid wheel base. :think:

Hi mate I have the manuals on how that goes back together could you tell me what year truck so I can find the closes manual and post some pics for you.

Reactions: Sag
Oz, you're a legend. Thank you.

This is what I would like to achieve this weekend:

Reconnect all behind dash loom connections.

Reinstall blower/fan assembly and heater matrix and attach to control panel.

Re install under dash aircon assembly.

Re-assemble dashboard completely.

Any help you could offer would be great. Cheers.

OD

Yo... Thankls Oz. Your input has been invaluable.

Todays Pics:

20160618_173327.jpg 20160618_191207.jpg 20160618_215237.jpg 20160618_215522.jpg

I'm a tradesman, and I go out of my way not to criticise the quality of other peoples work. It's easy, cheap and lazy.

But, for the moron who dismantled the 73 I've bought I'll make an exception.

In all my born days I've never come across such astonishing levels of f*ckwittery.

Todays biscuit taker, to add to the list of lost and broken parts is the screen for the dash array.

It's been scoured with wire wool and ruined.

So if anybody has one, please PM me.

Dash should be back together more or less by the end of tomorrow. Engine, engine/bay rebuild starts next week.

Thanks again for help given.

OD

Looking good outdoordan what did old mate do under the bonnet. ?

does it have original ac?
can you take pictures of the piping in the engine compartment please? (when you get there)
Id like to see how the ac pipes clear the vacuum pipes next to the firewall, Ill try to fit ac on my lj in the future...

Last edited:
I'll take photos later this week Alexy... The guy I bought it from made such a mess of things I'm not sure how much help they'll be. What vacuum pipes are you talking about?

The hole in the bulkhead that the two copper pipes exit through had two short black rubber pipes. One was the drain pipe for the AC unit. I have no idea what the other one was.

I re-installed the AC unit only because it's part of the system... it links the fan/blower and the heater matrix.

I'm not installing any of the rest of the system under the bonnet. I'll be selling it at some point.

What I thought of on Sunday night, just as I finished was I should have removed the AC unit from the plastic housing and just installed the housing. I'll get round to it in a week or two when its back on the road.

Cheers

OD

the whole ac unit can be replaced with a simple tubing that is found in the non ac models.
through bulkhead comes the drain hose on the lower hole, then the two pipes from the ac evaporator.
on my lj, I have the vacuum pipes that come from the vacuum pump to the vacuum reservoir routed close to the place where ac pipes holes are in the bulkhead.
I sent you pm.

Back