Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's 70's!

Have made some good progress on the frame..

Pedder's suspension pics 002.JPG

Have done the 4 areas of welding to it.. Nice and solid all round!

Pedder's suspension pics 009.JPG

Have wirebrushed the frontend and have healthy coats of paint on there.

Pedder's suspension pics 005.JPG

I spent a short amount of time to take off the engine mounts, getting ready for dropping in the engine and box. The D4D and 1KZT have a different placement of the engine mounts and don't aim to fit a 2Lt in there!

Pedder's suspension pics 004.JPG

I have cleared the rust that was thick on this back axle. It's waiting for it's second coat...

I have ended off buying a poly bush kit for the hole truck from milner...

Still looking into a suspension setup. I comunicated with Pedders for a kit but they dont have a kit to suit this era of 70. I am thinking about the format of the "80 series" front springs. Does anyone know the dia of the coils on these?

I have refitted the axle tonight and am looking to take the front axle off tomorow night... A bit more rust removal and more POR15 paint and its about to become a bit more interesting!!

Looking great so far!

I saw this yesterday outside the workshop I use for servicing the 80, thought of your project...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 499
I had another push on the frame today.
20140727_201257.jpg
Finished off the last of the grinding with the wire wheel and applied 2 coats of the PO 15 paint..
20140727_201230.jpg
Removed the bushes from the front trailing arm's, ground and painted.
20140727_201217.jpg
Did the tedious job of cleaning up the front axle. It's such an improvement when they're painted up.
Going to leave the front hubs till I rebuild the front hubs.
It's basically ready to refit and prepare for the engine and box. .
20140727_201319.jpg
This is the box that was in my red 70 when I got it which is fine but the bearings have gone on the output shaft on the transfer case. So am looking for the best place to buy a rebuild kit. Anyone know of the best place to buy a kit?

Got in touch with Steve sae70 about 80 series front springs and they are a straight fit same dia on the rear of the early lj70's. Its looking like there is enough space to fit them on the front too.. I'm going to give them a go..
We will see how it turns out!! :icon-cool:

Attachments

• 20140727_180859.jpg
    20140727_180859.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 374
transfer case overhaul

After having a bit of a gap in my workload, I thought I'd take a look at the collapsed front prop bearing on the transfer case.
20140811_143120.jpg
Followed the max ellory manual. .
20140811_183011.jpg
After checking the gap on the thrust washer (idler shaft in the centre) I took the casings appart. I found that another was on its way to collapse.
20140811_190547.jpg
The bearing on the end of the gearbox shaft was well on it's way out. I knocked out the front prop bearing and coincidently both are the same sized bearing.

20140812_112411.jpg

I went to bearing man and easily got 2 replacements. It's quite satifying to really get to know whats going on in this type of transfercase. I now have a good understanding of how it works.
20140812_124415.jpg
After tripple checking what I had done I went ahead and fitted the rear casing. BUT I checked the thrust washer gap after nipping up some of the casing bolts and the gap is well over the stated allowace of 0.625. So I will have to get 2 new thrust washers and refit it all back together again.

It's all fun and learning!:think:

Great progress, keep the updates coming. :thumbup:

:thumbup: I'm watching this, but unfortunately I don't get the photos on my iPad for some reason, maybe it will be better on the laptop...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys.. hope the pics show up Clive!
IMG-20140812-WA0004.jpg
Have this terain tamer partial kit with 2 new thrust washers on its way from Holland. ..

I bought this 70mm bar of hard wearing plastic for around £12 last weekend. With the experimental aim to make some castor recovery bushes.
IMG-20140812-WA0005.jpeg
So I took it over to see my mate with the lathe this evening to give it a spin!!
20140813_180437.jpg
So I am quite pleased with the result! I am guessing that there is an element of setting up with these when I get my 80 series front springs through. I'm not going for new ones after research and measurement's etc. So am going for two sets of used and hopefully tired ones!

Its all fun here with this build!!

:thumbup: I'm watching this, but unfortunately I don't get the photos on my iPad for some reason, maybe it will be better on the laptop...

Got the photos on my iPad now, I think the guy peddling the wi-fi in this "hotel" in Istanbul must have been getting tired!

Great job, looking forward to further updates! :icon-biggrin:

You won't be able to flex up a kerb with those plastic bushings in there, its bad enough with rubber bushes, I would recommend the pedders bushes, I have them on my kzj70

You won't be able to flex up a kerb with those plastic bushings in there, its bad enough with rubber bushes, I would recommend the pedders bushes, I have them on my kzj70

Thats a very valid point you have there man. The trouble was that on a square light later model the bushes are 60mm and the earlier round light are 68mm so the ones you have dont fit.

I had a good long conversation with the guy from pedders about finding a lift kit for this truck. But he came back with no success for this model.

I got a quote for iron man 2" lift with castor correction for £620 delivered! That's 10x what I paid for the truck!! I'm just being carefull that the project doesn't turn into a money pit!!

When its done I'll find some rocks here in Wales and see what it does lol!!

Hi Iwan can not get the pics up on my I pad but you or getting on with it good job good look with it it will be a lot of fun big :thumbup::thumbup: Tony .

Cheers tony.. its a bit of a lark! Seems like the pics are a bit full on for the old ipads to handle! Maybe you could get that guy in from Venezuela to come and sort it out for you like he did for Clive!. :laughing-rolling::think:

Thats a very valid point you have there man. The trouble was that on a square light later model the bushes are 60mm and the earlier round light are 68mm so the ones you have dont fit.

I had a good long conversation with the guy from pedders about finding a lift kit for this truck. But he came back with no success for this model.

I got a quote for iron man 2" lift with castor correction for £620 delivered! That's 10x what I paid for the truck!! I'm just being carefull that the project doesn't turn into a money pit!!

When its done I'll find some rocks here in Wales and see what it does lol!!

Surely as they only got the earlier LJ70's over here (round headlight and pin end on the radius/trailing arms) it would be easier to get the bushes you need versus the later model ones? :?

Give me a shout if you want anything sending over. :thumbup:

Hiya Ben, I am quite sure that the supply and demand for the castor correction bushes on the bundera is higher in Australia.

Also the right direction to take buying from Australia. Thanks for the offer to find them there etc.. cheers mate:thumbup:

New body arrival!

I've been out this morning taking the body of the donner import truck..
2014-08-17 16.11.29.jpg
2 and a half lj70's :cool:
20140817_152300.jpg
I managed to buy the rhs rear door, there's a couple of dents but rust free and original to it.
20140817_152318.jpg
Its in very good shape. There's a couple of small rust spots at the bottom of the wheel arches. Nothing to worry about. .
20140817_152825.jpg
No sunroof! Really like that..
20140817_152334.jpg
Ahhh that's why the equipment on this is so different. It's a lj71!
20140817_153005.jpg
Most of the wiring is in it still.
20140817_152346.jpg
I am tempted to get it painted before fitting it to the chassis. In white..
Looks like I've got a bit of a wiring job on soon lol :think:

I got my parts through for my transfer case..
20140819_124337.jpg
So got that together successfully. .
20140819_124308.jpg
Great these toyota gearboxes the bell housing pattern is the same for 2kd lhs and 2lt rhs. Great for modifications. Just swap and drop in a different generation of engine.
20140819_125543.jpg
Ready to go! Happy days!
20140820_173734.jpg
This afternoon have got the D4D engine out of the hilux and have a list of the last few bits to sell.
20140820_190603.jpg
Its quite a top heavy lump. I wonder if its much taller than the 1kzt? Iirc with the round head light lj70 you have to lower the engine mounts to close the bonnet! I want to remove the vacume controlled idle up unit below the turbo and of course hack out the smoke filter too!
20140820_190625.jpg
Also want to block off the egr pipe ends. Will check the clutch for wear and hook it up to the gearbox. Looking forward to getting the delivery of the 80 series front springs and this lot will be dropped into the chassis!

I've had a couple of good hits to the truck.
20140821_143407.jpg
Got the engine and box together. Easy job to start getting things out of the way..

20140824_184830.jpg
On Sunday I cleaned and rust treated the surface rust areas then wax oiled the rest. Nice to know that all is good.on the underside of the body. Horrible job but pleased with the result. .

20140824_192800.jpg
There was a nasty bit of rust forming along the floor line here. Which I dealt with. Maybe worth checking your own truck along here. Catch it before it turns into a big job.
20140826_171349.jpg
Great these 80 series front springs. They come already rusty! Saves the heartache when your iron man springs rapidly loose their finish!:lol::lol: Thanks to Karl Webster for sorting them out when busy..:thumbup:
20140826_182623.jpg
Got a fair lift going on here! Lol
20140826_182643.jpg
Interested in seeing how much it will go down. There's a fair bit of weight to go on to the frame. It's opened up a lot more work now!:thumbup:

Back