Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's hdj81

I've seen Edd China use one of those pie crimper tools to fill in a sunroof. Mine is on order and winging its way from the People's Republic of Covid as we speak.

Probably already seen, but just in case (after carefully hiding credit card) Frosts do a pretty good range of such things. Probably not the cheapest, but the online catalogue is interesting.

A friend in need is a friend indeed. @tonytoyota cheers mate! :thumbup:

Since I've had this truck the spare wheel has been in the rear load area with a deck above it... and time to do something about it.

P1020524.JPG

So have decided to use the oem wheel carrier off the Scottish truck.. the rust on it is so extensive and have struggled to get my original one solid. Best I can think of with it is to make a crew cab body out of it.

This is the lower reinforcing piece that luckily is bolted in, marking the holes correctly is another matter indeed!

P1020528.JPG

Template no 3 still off with the placement, then remembered watching a fella on youtube making gaskets and had a go. You use a small ball pein hammer and tap around the hole a with the ball part and it will cut the hole in the card in this case... worked a treat.

P1020526.JPG

Luckily the 2 holes on the inner steel of the D pillar are already there... just a quick hole saw to gain access.

P1020530.JPG

Squeezed it into position... just the first outer mount marked and the plate mount inside the return. Enough to trial fit and mark the rest.

P1020529.JPG

Diggin the oem carrier tailgate. There's a lot of weight difference between the pair here.

P1020531.JPG

Lookin goood and completely factory mounted here!

P1020532.JPG

Still have the top tailgate to change as there's a locator for the carrier...

The upper mount for the carrier is spotwelded in from the factory and to extract this you would need to cut the quarter panel corner. Not prepared to do this, so had to be inventive.

P1020533.JPG

Have 4 mounts and have used these hard solid plastic blanks. When you angle grind them they're like those hot glue gun blanks. This area is a very hard place to do anything. Still have one more to do on the lhs.

P1020535.JPG

Used bigger bolts for the 2 with the plastic connection. it's very firmly fitted.

P1020536.JPG

State of play at the end of the day! Very happy with the change to the truck..:think: I also really like the oem steel 80 wheels and am looking to make up a set of 5 of them to refurb.. Currently have 1 happy to buy them as single wheels just to put it out there!

Must do something about the space saving spare wheel!:think::thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How did the rotten corner turn out Iwan? I didn’t notice any pics of the finished article.
Picked mine up from the welder/painter guy his after, it’s done now however good or bad job he’s done. It’s good for a few years and he can always do the same again when the tin worms have munched his handywork away.
It looks goodish anyway if you don’t mind me contaminating your thread with my photos...

BD1E02B6-C0D6-4FE3-BB69-467016435C9C.jpeg
49BC5E48-363C-4A23-95E3-1AC5E2E8FC8C.jpeg
8541C74B-DD29-4E5C-B8E2-FD7B863AB33C.jpeg
A4E05E72-372E-4878-A7CF-C02C1F57EA2A.jpeg

Blimey, there’s a reflection of the step in that paintwork, never had that before :lol:

Hiya Clive! After making the last patches I was up and down off the floor too many times and ended up with aching thighs that evening! Worked the next day and had a change with the wheel carrier yesterday, designed an oak framed garage today and had a late evening hit finishing the back of the truck lol.

Have a plan of action for tomorow with finishing the welding, then the plan with some paint which I'm sure I will not get as shinny as your fella can achieve.. but provided the sill is sealed well and it prevents the inner from being a wet area then jobs a good one! :thumbup:

Finally had a spare day to get back to this, a month later!

P1020578.JPG

Being busy on it I missed the pic of the job before the finish went on... there's no filler in it though. What a challenge and to preserver is the only way.

P1020579.JPG

Inner arch all done with original ish gutter there! Pretty happy with the outcome.

P1020580.JPG

Had a bit of luck with the rear tailgate regarding the top support for the wheel carrier, all tailgates have the internal bracing to accept this outer.. so real good news there..

Mot next ... :thumbup:

@tonytoyota the height of a 45 front spring from top of the eyes to the base where the centre bolt is 7" hope the info helps you man!:thumbup:

Looking good Iwan :thumbup:
just a question, what’s that shiny long coach bold doing holding your rear sway bar link on? Does the extended length serve any purpose?
I’m teasing really, but then I wondered if it’s deliberate for some reason?

Haha Clive on the pre mot there was play in the bush... so I've made up by having a thicker bolt! :thumbup:

Hi Iwan that is a.good job on the 80s.and thanks a lot for the info

Hi
Diggin the oem carrier tailgate. There's a lot of weight difference between the pair here.
Im thinking of doing this as well. Do you know the differences internally of the tailgates ?

Hi man, the top tailgate has the stay support already fitted inside, I just drilled the holes in the correct position..

The lower tailgate has this plastic brace inside of it.

P1020964.JPG

P1020963.JPG

Which supports the latch, found it easier to fit the correct tailgate which also has the correct number plate mount on it.

Have some more rust repairs to do to this for the next mot, inner wing front support by the front panel...

That's great to know. Thanks for the pics. Very helpful.

Is that brace only visible when you cut the inside open ?

The previous owner of the tail gate had made a cubby storage in it.. I always forget that it's there!

So an annual attempt to get another year out of the 81! Only have 5 pics..

P1020970.JPG

There's quite a problem with the front end! Driver side front corner has lost a lot of solidity!

P1020971.JPG

It's a problem when you have 10 days mot left! :anguished: :expressionless:

P1020973.JPG

I have this very good compared to a rusted out section of inner wing section from the 24v(engine+ gearbox) donor truck so very thank full for having it!

P1020972.JPG

So a selection of front panels.. The lowest in the pic is from the original 81 that I bought when this thread started, the top one is the very rotten 24v donor truck. Both of these front panels are "well" corroded! Surprisingly the painted one in the centre is from the 81 Scottish with the problem engine.. Luckily have a very decent front panel rust treated and painted..

P1020973.JPG

My truck has corrosion issues but it continues to do the job it was built for! Lol! :thumbup: Each part that you repair well, is a part that doesn't need sorting in the not so distant future!:)

Had a good few days getting the nose job on the 81 happening!

P1020975.JPG

As this mount on the inner wing rusts away it's quite surprising how much you have to lift the wing up. I used a jack off the top of the wheel.

P1020976.JPG

I intend to use an adhesive/ sealant with bolts and washers to connect this repair patch to whats left of the inner wing.. My welder is broken so have limited options.

P1020977.JPG

Have done a lot of rust treatment and then it will be painted then sealed.

P1020978.JPG

I'm really pleased to see it looking in a much better state.. this is the first trial fit of the front panel, it's getting a bit hot outside now so will have another go this evening! :thumbup:

Back