Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Jump Start mess up

Karl, just a thought, is there a fusible link on our 120's ?
I know on some of the different older series they have them.

Grease monkey, make things a bit easier for yourself if youre not sure, and swap some of those relays around as I advised earlier ?

Good question that TM - I don't think there is one - I think the equivalent is that big 140a ALT fuse...

Unless we can spot one somewhere!

AM1 & AM2 were both OK ALT was blown, have ordered one from Toyota. Can you tell me how I get it out. I understand there are clips and a screw to be released to be able to lift the top of the fuse box up to access the fixing screws on the fuse. I cant see how to release the clips. Do I have to release the live terminal tab on the fuse board (top left on the photo ?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is a 4 runner but looks like the same box.

What a pain....

Sounds like Tony might have found an easier way though!

Bloody hell, I wouldn't want someone like that near mine.
I was waiting for the BFH to come out !

How come you had to replace yours Tony? Short circuit?
I can't recall, but had a issue and it needed to come out. I think I just refurbed the brushes, or maybe just cleaned then out.

The 120 got a bit of a soaking at Salisbury plain quite a few years ago, so I think that started the issues

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221212-183539.jpg
    Screenshot_20221212-183539.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20221212-183604.jpg
    Screenshot_20221212-183604.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 25
Nah, alternator. I recall taking it out and fighting with the proxy bolts at the back... Shit job, but better than when I had to take the turbo out

Managed to get the car trailered to a local garage where the fuse was changed, what a horrible job!
Car started first time but there was no reverse. They connected to a computer, tested all the other fuses. After disconnecting the batteries then reconnecting reverse was working.
Car seems to drive fine but there are warning lights on the panel as in the photo.
Brake warning, ABS, VSC TRC, VSC OFF and the skid symbol.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• Lights.jpg
    Lights.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 17
Possibly another fuse or two blown also? Seems you escaped major damage. Amazing how something so seemingly innocuous as a jump start can go horribly wrong.

I've seen issues with jump starting Renaults in particular, so much that I generally won't touch one. They often have positive ground in parts of the car for some reason. I also fitted an Anderson plug to the front of my truck and made up jump leads to match. That way I can control the connection.

I've done the Anderson socket connection with the plug on the leads too Bob.
That way it's foolproof your end, and you have control connecting to other vehicle battery

All the warning lights seem related..... could it be a simple configuration or calibration required ?
Something like a steering angle sensor ?

Back