Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Jump Start mess up

Few years ago i bought a massive and heavy old school jump pack, which i still have and still works well (Jump Start 4000 or summat like that), maybe the cost of buying and keeping charged such a thing is justifiable, course it means carrying it around if you're the sort of person prepared to help others out, definately better if the only electrics taking a battering through someone elses ignorance or negligence is someone else's car.

Glad you've got the motor going again Grease Monkey.
As for all the lights you mention, our Subaru has been known to throw all those lighgts up should you even dare to connect a good quality (non Subaru) code reader, disconnecting the battery for a few hours tends to reset it, but also since i replaced the battery those lights have never shown themselves in disgrace again (thats buggered it), so low voltage might be a trigger too, can't recall now, did you renew both batteries?

When the problem started the 1 battery had 12.7 volts the other was about 7 volts. I just changed the bad one. I cant remember what I paid in the UK for the last time I changed both batteries but here the 1 battery was 198 euros.

I changed both a month or two back, the replacement set which cost the previous owner about £150 plus fitting from Mr T lasted 7 years before starting to fail, i bought Exides for a change from Tayna which cost about the same, note the ones i bought are the standard size not the supersize which many of the lads here have gone for which are more powerful slightly longer (the reason why i didn't) and really quite a bargain as only slightly more expensive if at all.

Few years ago i bought a massive and heavy old school jump pack, which i still have and still works well (Jump Start 4000 or summat like that), maybe the cost of buying and keeping charged such a thing is justifiable, course it means carrying it around if you're the sort of person prepared to help others out, definately better if the only electrics taking a battering through someone elses ignorance or negligence is someone else's car.

I had one of those jump packs for years, very handy and was its own form of exercise moving it :)

I've got one of those lithium ion noco booster things now - it fits perfectly into the cubby in the back of the 120, so it doesnt take up any extra space, and is (comparatively) no extra weight. Means you can help yourself, or someone else in trouble and no danger of reverse polarity. Also it stays charged for ages, so not much maintenance.

Attachments

• 20221215_111044.jpg
    20221215_111044.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 21
Cor Blimey Karl, impressed by that jump pack you have, until i just looked them up, going off for a lie down in a darkened room having seen the price :shock:

My nico boost is an expensive phone charger. Personally think they are rubbish. Wouldn't buy one again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cor Blimey Karl, impressed by that jump pack you have, until i just looked them up, going off for a lie down in a darkened room having seen the price :shock:

How much are they now? Dont remember exactly but think I paid about £100 or so? I've paid more than that for the old school ones!

My nico boost is an expensive phone charger. Personally think they are rubbish. Wouldn't buy one again.

oops bad experience with it? I've seen a few tales on the internet about them, but probably used mine about 15-20 times all in and its been spot on!

How much are they now? Dont remember exactly but think I paid about £100 or so? I've paid more than that for the old school ones!

Circa £300 for the 150 model.
Just had a poke nose and it appears you can get replacement batteries for the Jump Start 4000 for around £85/95, think i'll stay old school and replace the battery on that when the time comes, nothing wrong with the case leads or clamps.

Circa £300 for the 150 model.

Wow, I didn't pay anything like that for it. Maybe it was £150 then, but deffo wasnt 300 quid. Had it a good few years though

Just had a poke nose and it appears you can get replacement batteries for the Jump Start 4000 for around £85/95, think i'll stay old school and replace the battery on that when the time comes, nothing wrong with the case leads or clamps.

Not bad, I think I had one of them - cant remember - is it a clarke or a sealey or sommat? Used that a fair bit too, always did the job. In fact if your battery ever packs in at liverpool tip, the lads there might use it to jump start your motor - i donated it to them rather than dump it when I needed the space :)

I had a cheapo lookalike jumpstart model powerpack years ago, and when the battery in that eventually failed I replaced it. It was the same battery as rechargeable backup house burglar alarm, so not much money. It eventually went to Wales with my son.

I have one of these in the glove box and wasn't sure about the capability until I needed it. Have used it to start my 3L Diesel Collie with ease and very reasonable price.

alternative-zum-starthilfekabel-starthilfe-kfz-batteriepack-powerbank-jumpstart.jpg

I too didnt carry a jump start cable anymore. To safe my own vehicle. And because those jumpstart kits are more lightweight.

There is a lot of crap around. If you drive a V8 Diesel you cant trust even the good brands. They let you crank your engine, but the engine dont will start.

With a V4 engine, they will let you start your engine, even without batterys, on a v6 you had to check:

Both of this should work till v6
Starthilfe / Jumpstart - die Alternative zum Starthilfe-Kabel - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Surfy

Good info and advice there Surfy.

I had an xp10 years ago but was disappointed with it. It couldn't start a 1.8 petrol with a totally dead battery when I needed it.

I got a noco GB40 (I think?) that i use for the 1.8 petrol now - that's worked a fair few times no problem.

I agree with the advice to take all the specs with a pinch of salt and buy bigger than you theoretically need!

Another option are those super capacitor based jump packs. They're handy for the type of person who would never be bothered making sure it's always charged (not really most people here!)

This happened to me many years back at the shipping depot in Vancouver start of a long journey. The guys flipped the leads after I’d connected both ends correctly! The main fusible link blew. I didn’t have a spare but managed to fix it to get myself mobile and swapped in a new one when I could.

Back