Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just adding to the great cooling debate

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Following on from the old AT cooling, triple core, stand alone oil cooling, ATF melt down debate I thought I'd add this. It's not science, it's observation and not intended to provide a conclusion.

This weekend, I went off road at a local site. Not as muddy as the month before which was pretty epic. Anyway, I knew my rad needed a wash though before I started, but off I went and had a good time of it. Later on, I had to nip home, mostly down hill. On the way back there is a really long straight hill. About a mile and arrow straight. Halfway I up I glanced at the temp - WOW, it was literally off the scale. I pulled over for a look. I have never heard such a boiling. The engine was 'tinking' and it even sounded like the oil was bubbling. (I am working through all the fluids at the mo but they all look and smell fine) The rad was really choked as was the AC condenser. I let it cool gradually and made the last half mile to the site with the heater on and the windows down. Fortunately at the bottom of said hill, I have a mate. I free-wheeled to his gaff and borrowed his hose pipe. Nothing fancy, no spray - just a pipe. I spent 40 minis just washing it the best I could. I really couldn't blast it through. Going back up the hill, it stayed just below half and never got any hotter all weekend. Tonight, I pulled the rad out. To start with, the AC condenser is utterly choked. So flow to the rad must be pretty bad. Now as I pulled the rad out I thought 'blimey, that's heavy'. It was. It was more mud than rad. My little jet wash wouldn't clean it, I had to get the Bad Boy out. Difficult to estimate precisely but I would say there was less than 40% flow through the fins. That's being generous. Really only the area directly in front of the centre of the fan had any through put. And yet - the temp showing was fine with the engine working hard on a very hot day. It was really very warm and pretty high up above the Peak District. Rad is in excellent condition. Really good but it does look original as far as I can tell. It's got plastic headers and is triple core with bog standard car warehouse antifreeze in it. No, not special red or pink alien blood.

So what's the point of this rambling boll***s, well it's about the cooling capacity of the 80 system. No I am not in the Andes or halfway up the Hindu Kush, but on a very hot day with only limited cooling, almost no driven flow due to crawling and idling all day the rad kept everything in the green. So, is all the effort involved in fitting extra oil cooling, triple core rads, electric fans etc actually worth it? The ATF light never came on (yes, all my warning lights do work).

Like I said, just adding some real world experience into the mix. I know that people have been much further afield than me where the sun shines hotly, but in standard trim, under fairly tough conditions the 80 kept its cool. I am looking forward to seeing if it runs any differently with the new super clean cooling combo this weekend. I am going to jet out the engine bay whilst I am in there. It's pretty packed. got my AT's back on and no roof tent. Should get a trip to Scotland soon, so we'll see what it'll do on a run.

Make of that what you will Gentlemen.

Chris

good observations Chris. Lugging up if the box is not locked must put a heck of a thermal load on the cooling system from the auto transmission. other than that I understand the 80s are overcooled - keep the rads clean and all's well - i drove around for a few days with the rad blind down in heavy traffic - never budged on the temp gauge and never heard the fan start whirring.

I've always washed mine through from inside engine bay after any modest offloading just to be on the safe side.

i do reckon that theres a heck of a dirt trap between the a/c rad and the main rad - not that i have an aircon rad.

well thats good news surely, well it is as long as it stays cool and no damage is done

I say the more cool air the better so in my opinion yes its all worthwhile

My moto since is after every offroading / laning day I back flush my rad with a simple hose pipe

It's actually quite difficult to get to parts of the rad in an 80. What with the shroud and fan. There is no access at all to the front of the rad. As I said the AC rad gets blocked too and you can't back wash that at all.
Tricky stuff that mud.

C

get yourself some fine mesh and make a screen that sits in front of them both

It's an idea. Thing is that much of this stuff is only one grade away from being water, but the solids dry in the fins and then it snowballs. But I do wonder about what it would be like to drive more with the heater blind pulled down on the front. I might give that go next time.

When is next time? Hmm.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Never got round to doing it, (like most of my ideas :oops: ) but I had an idea of fixing a piece of hosepipe with holes punched in it along the top of the rad and just connecting a hosepipe from the tap and letting it run down between the rad and condenser after getting it muddy until it ran clear.

I've read in the past of people having to completely remove the rad & soak it in the bath over night to soften the mud deposits enough so as to allow gentle removal :)

The OEM temperature gauge has a huge dead zone around the normal temperature region so the coolant temperature has to get quite high before the gauge will indicate a problem. So the temp gauge staying on N only really tells you you're within the dead zone, but it could still be running much hotter than it should. I would either do the temperature gauge mod to remove the dead zone or add another gauge that lets you see what's really going on.

Most of my cooling mods are to let me see what's going on and then provide extra cooling when things aren't working as they should i.e. I thought I'd cleaned out the radiator well enough but it turns out half way up a hill a 1000 miles from home that I missed a lot of it ;)

Your engine won't make much heat at holymoorside
They make loads of heat while on boost for long periods of time
Like the hill on the way
With the monska I run the rad completely shut off from air flow while off roading
To avoid the mud build up
But on the motorway without it it runs hot due to to low gearing
And being on boost most of the time

I got me Mojo back.

Well all fettled and reassembled in fine order. Took the opportunity to have a good furtle about and clean and tidy too. Well, got to say it seems to have restored some woof back into the beast :dance: . I guess that if the rad is blocked the fan is perhaps working hard to pull air through - I'm sure Jon will explain. But I can see how this would easily sap power. It's going like a rocket again. Throttle response seems better and that roar is back when I boot it. Recently it has revved but seemed to be stuck in treacle.

Right. Just the damage to attend to.

Chris

"Right. Just the damage to attend to."

photos ? :whistle:

Back