Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just as Chris said...

Jake the Peg

Country Flag
scotland
Life really can throw you challenge, I’m 49 and probably the fittest, thinnest and most active I’ve been in 25yrs, I’ve never been heavy, never smoked but enjoy a few beers, don’t we all anyway while almost at the top of Ben Nevis last weekend the chest pains started, ach no big deal, suck it up and get going! Summit reached, lunch devoured and off to descen, turns out this is heart attack #2 but I’m still in denial, it’s just a bit of asthma...The decent was the most miserable time I’ve spent outdoors and I soldiered on to the bottom and off to the B&B for a shower where attack #3 visited me. Ok so time to get some advice from the professionals. Sure enough the hospital had the machine that goes beep and the staff reprimanding me for my stubbornness to continue.. I scored with a nice blue light journey to Inverness hospital where I was straight into treatment and will now have some time for recovery. It’s shit having to sit around all day, really shit where 3 or 4 mins of walking make you want to lie down for a sleep
So anyway I’m sure we are all bored of reading this, but I don’t think may of us here are spring chickens anymore and probably need a small reminder to slow down a little and look after ourselves, as well as our trucks!

Cheers

J

Holy bloody bats and belfries Jake. Well, they don't call them curve balls for nothing do they. Cup of tea and a biscuit, you'll be fine. That oil ain't gonna change itself. Stop moping around and get some work done!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Exercise is really bad for you.

I'm not particularly religious but I read posts like this and I just think, "there but for the grace of God....". You can live a "healthy" lifestyle, do everything right and you can still get struck down. I guess one positive you can take is they're warnings and can make lifestyle adjustments. We lost two members of the family on my Mum's side who had none. Right as rain one minute, then bang, gone. Hope all goes well with your treatment and recovery and don't rush it however boring it may be! :thumbup:

61 this year and would describe myself as an upright hobbling disaster on a pair of crutches with a German Shepherd and still willing to follow while others lead the way albeit at a greatly reduced speed but i will work till im on me chin strap tis the never bloody give up attitude that keeps you young keeps you going and keeps you you for your family so get yer ass outa yer pit and next time bloody drive up the hill

I can imagine that is a sit up and pay attention moment.

Speedy recovery

Not a bad place to have your first heart attack I suppose... the summit of Ben Nevis.

Look after yourself Jake, plenty more summit out there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jeez, sorry to hear that - but at least you've got attention and can move forward - I've known of a couple of people literally just dropped dead (widow maker attack). We never know what's coming next.

Take care, eh.

all the best mate.

funny thing this fitness job. mrs step dad. thin as a rake, healthy eater, did about 250 miles a week on his road bike, has done for decades.

triple heart bypass about three years ago..

All the best for a speedy recovery. :thumbup:

That's quite an episode you've experienced - 3 heart attacks in one day but you still climbed Ben Nevis! :cool:

Sorry to hear the turn of events that lead you to the hospital & hope you feel better soon.

I too have had chest pains earlier this year but having had a phone chat, I kid you not, with a doctor he decided it was down to stress (moving house, blah) and to monitor once i'd moved. Also don't under estimate the stresses being put on all house holds from little people up to parents during these lockdowns and measures are in place.

On the different note if you're passing through Fort Augustus give me a shout, more than welcome to pop in for a cuppa. :)

The summat of Ben Nevis may have proven to be a step to far but there's something consoling in the achievement perhaps ?

I'm not quite 49 and wondering when , not if , it will happen to me , seems almost unfair that despite all the scars , broken bones , cigarettes and alcohol i've not yet malfunctioned in any significant way . I guess i will wake up dead without warning .

Similar thing happened to my mate when he was about 43 Jake , fit as a fiddle working his boat alone as he has every day since he was a kid when the indigestion started troubling him , so he dropped to the deck to do a few press-ups trying to shift the trapped wind , without success , so he stopped for a smoke before getting on with his work . He repeated the process several times until his day was done and phoned the mrs to tell her what time he would be home for tea - she had an ambulance waiting on the quay for him .

Took him a while to get over it but he's been back to the same routine for several years now and when i asked him about it last year he said with a shrug its not as easy as it once was but we are all getting older .

I sincerely hope its the same for you .

The only upsaide when you go through these things is that finally, you get someone to give you a right proper inspection. I've been scanned, entered, probed, pressed, squeezed, fiddled with inplaces I didn't want fiddling with to be told it's good news. It's only cancer that you've got. The rest is fine.

Thanks Gents, appreciate the kind words it’s not going to be long before I get the spanner’s back out and get back out to work
It appears there are several health programs (intrusions) men are entitled to and I’d like to encourage you all to look and see what your local authority can offer

cheers
J

Well said, but you need to push for them. I was with my GP and asked about things like tests for bowle cancer and he didn't want to discuss it. he said, that's not what your appointment is for today, let's stick to the subject. I said I should have been asked at 55 - again, simply blocked me. So I toddled off to hospital only to be be told that .... well you know the rest.
So PUSH them!

Speedy recovery Jakey-boy. I'll race you.

Take it easy Jake..There are a few of us going through Medical Trauma at the moment, Just hope there are some young Land cruiser enthusiasts to take over..Iv just bought my self another Motorbike.... Even though i wont be able to sit on it for a few months..... Im not far off 60 and i thought sod it im gonna get another Bike I refuse to get OLD and ILL.....Even though every body tells me i am :lol: ......Get well mate...

@Higgy I just got this to go with the auld one!
0D7E3E0A-A274-4421-AA55-31C4BE9EC834.jpeg

@big-yin are you out by the forest walks?

And pictures of the LC and Blade...... ?
You can't go to the garage in the sky.....you have too many toys ;-)

There's Two reasons right there to get better real quick, Love the old RD 07..... Iv been looking for a while.. There are some cracking 650 Africa Twins on ebay.. That would finish off your collection.... Not sure about the CRF... Its only because im old 'Skool' and anything with more than 3 buttons Frightens me.I was looking at them in my Local Honda dealer the other day........ Its a shame we cant ride two horses with one Arse, So to speak :lol: .... Honda XVR650 Africa Twin | eBay - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]....Get well soon Mate

Last edited:
I was looking round a new (2020) AT outside a dealer last week, now 1100cc and crammed full of gadgetery and electronicness as per most new bikes I guess. Having owned Honda's in the past I'd put them in the premier league for reliability and longevity but we all know where all this new tech can leave you if something goes wrong :angry-screaming:. "Can't beat a good old'un" as many would say!

Back