Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just for the laughs

Josh Tagg

Country Flag
uk
So today I removed the front axle from the cruiser, not too eventful to remove apart from the trailing arm mount that had been all welded up around/to the bolts. The panhard mount was rotten both spring mounts and the trailing arm mounts...... Lucky I now have a solid one from Andy to replace it with! I stripped all the hubs and swivels down, how on earth this has kept running I'll never know! There was virtually no oil in the axle, sod all grease or oil in the cvs-just rust! And also the diff lock disintegrated upon removal. In regards to the diff it's full of sludge, has a fair amount of lash and the carrier bearings seem noisy to me! Oh the joys. Here's some pics to keep you amused!

IMG_20170527_125209.jpg IMG_20170527_125225.jpg IMG_20170527_132952.jpg IMG_20170527_134407.jpg IMG_20170527_135558.jpg IMG_20170527_144859.jpg IMG_20170527_144904.jpg

Good job going on there Josh, not a moment too soon either, by the look of it!

The lockers disintegrating isn't unusual, when I got my '95 truck at 11 years old, mine just fell apart as I removed it. But those spring mounts rotting and the trailing arm mounts, looks like yours has never had a jet-wash to remove the mud, in its life.

Although they've got surface rust, my axles are in tip-top shape after 22 years, in comparison.

It doesn't take much to keep them clean. I go axle deep in mud often at weekends, but I always make sure it's all off before I venture into the next week of asphalt city use.

The way you're going, with the rebuild, you'll have the old girl shipshape, and ready for another 20 years of TLC. :thumbup:

This just goes to show how these trucks cope with years of neglect with very little complaint. At least you know your money is being well spent. I can't believe those spheres are as dry as they are. It's as if there was no grease put back in there after an axle rebuild. Mine are stuffed full with around 1kg each side.

Good work indeed. :thumbup:

Thanks guys. Yeah the poor old girl has suffered some serious neglect through its life it seems. Honestly about half a litre came out of the drain plug, nothing more...... Going to get the new tube all painted up and strengthen the trailing arm mounts. All in a days work (so they say). Updates to follow

My god. Who the hell did you buy it off?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back