Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Known Radiator issues

J66P

Having read a number of threads with regards to radiator failure resulting in costly gearbox repairs as anyone actually took the tranny out the coolant radiator and fitted an auxillary transmission cooler on its own ?

I recently replaced my original radiator, after around 13 years and 130k+ miles it was in OK condition - just didn't want to take a chance. It was less than £100 all in, so IMO a small price to pay for the piece of mind.

That makes much more sense, I saw on an Aussie forum that another mod that they do is to fit a steering fluid cooler as well.
A auto tranny cooler isn't very big and should stop the likelihood of water contaminating the fluid.

Well here is the thing we have ask the very same question many times but as of yet we have been unable to come up with the answer. Yes it has been done but the transmission is fussy about it's running tempreture and we have been unable to work out if the radiator as standard relies on the coolant to get the transmission up to temp quickly and once there regulates the temp and if we take the rad out and put in a seporate cooler will upset the ballance or not.

If anyone has the figures now it would be great to know.

Steve

chadr said:
I recently replaced my original radiator, after around 13 years and 130k+ miles it was in OK condition - just didn't want to take a chance. It was less than £100 all in, so IMO a small price to pay for the piece of mind.

would you by any chance have any links to the supplier, I have seent hem at ni on £300 on the bay hence my question :mrgreen:

I bought mine from "discount-cooling.co.uk" - I think Chris also bought one for his 80 ("GW") from them and was quite pleased with the fit. Didn't come with a cap, just used my old one which was still OK. Though a new cap from Toyota is only around £10 I think... :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
cheers Matey, will take a look, I think thats where I just got one for the Picasso from and it was spot on

Must take a look at the plumbing in mine
Tomorrow.
Will give the rad a good looking at!!

Nope, I got mine from Autokool in Chesterfield. Was very pleased. Wish that the Fire Brigade hadn't trashed it when they levered the bonnet open, but hey ho.

Avoid Milner ones. Variable quality and mostly crap fit against original.

Chris

Chris said:
Nope, I got mine from Autokool in Chesterfield.

Chris

Yes you did ;) .....Autokool/Discount Cooling same company I believe = go to the "Autokool" site and click on the link for radiators - that takes you to "discount-cooling". :thumbup:

Back