Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Knuckle grease...

GuyB

Country Flag
sweden
Morning folks, my steering knuckles look dry and my local mechanic thinks there's not enough grease inside them. I did an axle rebuild following JVs guide, but it's possible I didn't put enough....

Firstly, is it possible to get grease in there without stripping it down again, and secondly can you have 'too much' grease? I have a tub of moly left over so he may be right that I under-packed it.

Thanks

I usually put a full cartridge in it (400gr)
you'll find a squareheaded plug on top of the steering knuckle. unscrew it and pump grease in it.
they have to be almost full, but not completely. when you stick the grease pump in from above, imho it's nearly impossible to overfill them.

I also top up the grease through the plug hole periodically. There are some who reckon it doesn't do much but it's worth it IMO. It's obviously not the same as a full strip and repack but it helps keep out water and grime if nothing else.

Last edited:
By the fsm, the knuckle should be 3/4 full.

My only comments on this have been that you can't expect the grease to migrate inside the CVs. Topping it up for the sake of greasing the knuckle and seals itself is fine. But mostly it's just going to plop down in the bottom of the housing. Certainly won't harm anything at all. I just think that if a knuckle and hub is correctly built up then it shouldn't need this until it's time to strip it and do it all again. If the cannon ball at the back is really dry that might just be because the wiper seals are doing a really good job.

I have though about putting some of the landrover one shot in there as a top up.

Will give you a bit of fluid to get right inside the Cvs aswell.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok thanks all - it's also been standing for 3 months. I'm pretty sure I gave the CVs enough when I did the rebuild - and obviously I changed the wiper seals so they should be keeping the canon balls pretty clean...

Back