Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KZJ 73 Sump Removal - how?!

loco_ola

Country Flag
france
Did a search on here, but couldn't find anything helpful.

Having dropped the aluminium half moon cap into the engine, I'm pretty sure it's dropped a pretty long way down, possibly close to the sump, so I thought I'd try to get sump pan off and take a look.

I can get to 20 of the 22 sump bolts, but two are trapped under a foam bit of padding.

sump.jpg

sump.jpg
sump1.jpg

Looks like to get that out I need to start unbolting all kinds of stuff?!

Anyone got any advice please?

Many thanks

Ok I removed those brackets in the end, and i've got the foam out, and all the bolts. really struggling to separate the pan though, the sealant is super strong and I've not got the SST...

Hah I'll just keep on answering my own thread incase it helps anyone in the future.

Gently get between the block and the sump as much as you can with a scraper, then some prying with a large thin flathead screwdriver.

Retrieved the piece and an extra one.

Can't see an easy way to get the sump out without taking more stuff off, so I'm painfully cleaning it under the car before recommencing install.

I've no idea on the 70 Loco but those photos look very similar to the 80. I may be talking rubbish here but I've a feeling it helped getting mine out by jacking up the chassis/body while letting the front axle stay on the floor. Not sure if this helps.

I think you would have had a few more replies if you weren't in the middle of it and progressing and if @Ben hadn't just become a dad. I think you've just beaten us to it. If it's any consolation the 80 sump is similarly bonded on with ATV and takes a bit to shift until it gets going.

As Rich said, jacking the chassis up should help give you some room. :icon-biggrin:

The foam just pulls out to get to the last couple of bolts and as you found out they can be a complete bitch to get off once all the bolts are removed!

The last one I removed took a lot of hammering with a thin scraper and old chisel! :thumbdown:

Thanks for the replies. I was totally in the middle of it, and you know how it is. It's impossible to stop thinking and trying stuff even after you feel completely stuck.

I found (eventually and by accident) that turning the wheels full lock to the right allowed the pan to simply fall out.

Cleaning it up now ready to try to put it back in. Unfortunately this was the scene when I went outside...can't wait to get back under there.

lc-snow.jpg

Also what's up with this, how the heck do you actually apply the sealant? 2 sets of it, on the inside of the bolts?

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 14.19.24.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wouldnt worry too much about the application of the sealant. Just run a bead of RTV sealant all the way round and bolt it on. :icon-twisted:

I've done a few like that and never had a leak. :icon-cool:

You might have to wait for the temperature to warm up a bit first though or it may not work too well. :shifty:

Back