Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Kzj78/question regarding aftermarket parts

Martingray

So I'll just jump right in. I bought a prado and on the title it says kzj78. I've spent about a week trying to find parts for it and I'm not having much luck. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what parts fit my vehicle. For instance I am only able to find dobinsons who sells a lift kit but I would like more options. Haven't been able to find clear headlights or engine performance parts. I google search anything related to kzj78 but hardly anything shows up, mostly OEM replacement parts but even then, there isn't much.

As I understand it the first two letters designates the type of engine and then the numbers is the series? I guess my question is, since prado is from the Japanese market, what body parts from other models fit mine and are all year model 1kz-te engine parts interchangeable? Thanks in advance.

Hi Martin,

Congratulations on your choice of LandCruiser. :thumbup:

The 70 series (which your vehicle belongs to) is the series of LandCruiser's with the most body and engine variations in the entire LandCruiser range as they have been making the 70 series for over 30 years now, so it can seem very confusing and it is at times! Especially with a rare Jap import 78.

The KZ in KZj78 is the engine, which is the 1KZ-TE.

The J stands for LandCruiser.

And the 78 is the wheel base. 70 and 71 is the short wheel base 2 door 70's, 73 and 74 are medium wheel base and the 78 and 79 are the 5 door long wheel base models. :ugeek:

I've got an LJ70 and LJ78, the L is short for the 2LT engine that came fitted to these vehicles before the 1KZ replaced it. Theres also RJ70's and the R stands for the 22R engine.

I wouldnt worry about any of the other, many 70 series models as they will be the heavy duty 70 series models which are designed to carry heavy loads, so all have leaf spring suspension, bigger diffs and 5, 6 or 8 cylinder engines.

Our LJ/KZJ/RJ Prado vehicles are classed as light duty 70's as they are designed to carry people and not heavy cargo.

A lot of RJ70/LJ70/KZJ70 parts will fit your vehicle such as body panels, seats, lights, dash etc. and as your engine was also fitted to the 90 series and 120 series Prado's as well as the 4-Runner, Surf, Hi-lux and Hi-Ace vans then getting engine parts shouldnt be too hard either. ;)

Not all engine parts are interchangeable, for example your vehicle has a different sump to every other Toyota model, as all the others are independent front suspension so have a different sump to clear the front diff.

UK KZJ70's and 4-Runners got manual fuel pumps, all other models got electronic, ECU controlled fuel pumps.

But most other parts will be interchangeable.

Are these the clear front lights you've been looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Cryst...Set-For-Land-Cruiser-Prado-LJ78-/371064290212

I recently fitted them to the front of my LJ78 and they make the car look so much better and more modern! :icon-cool:

Regarding suspension there are a few other companies making suspension for these 70's and I've tried a few of them myself and I can say Dobinsons are the best! I've got their suspension on both of my 70's and I love it! :clap:

Whatever you do dont go for Ironman, its cheap, nasty, rubbish! :thumbdown:

What country are you in?

Hi Martin,

Congratulations on your choice of LandCruiser. :thumbup:

What country are you in?

Ben, wow thank you for that great info and taking the time to explain it. Now things are starting to make sense and I feel more confident about searching for parts. And I appreciate the heads up regarding the Ironman vs dobinsons. The link for the headlights was exactly what I was looking for!

I'm currently living in Japan but only moved here a few months ago from the US. I've tried asking these same questions to the dealer I'm buying this from as he specializes on land cruisers but the language barrier has proven my efforts close to impossible. The one I bought from him was the least modified out of the 6-7 he has on his lot so I thought I could get good info from him but google translate only took me so far .

Ben has covered a lot of it, but also note there is a great website www.toyodiy.com

If you enter your VIN, select your vehicle and then look up a part you need. Get the full part number and write it down.

Then go to the cross reference section:

https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref

Type in your part number and it will tell you exactly which other models shared that particular part. You can then use those other more popular vehicles to search for on eBay or scrap yards etc.

Ben has covered a lot of it, but also note there is a great website www.toyodiy.com

If you enter your VIN, select your vehicle and then look up a part you need. Get the full part number and write it down.

Then go to the cross reference section:

https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref

Type in your part number and it will tell you exactly which other models shared that particular part. You can then use those other more popular vehicles to search for on eBay or scrap yards etc.
Good thinking, I'll try that. Thanks!

Back