Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KZJ95 Prado LWB Bed Build

zsandoe

Country Flag
united_states
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and new to the LC owners club! I'm an American living in the UK and I was lucky enough to pick up a Japanese Spec 1997 LC Prado LWB with 125k on the odometer and a 1kz-te under the hood! I'm in love with the car so far and have a little bed project to share with you guys. As you all very well know, these cars are massive and provide great platforms for overlanding or "SUV camping." Im not sure about other models, but my model has the option to lay all seats flat to create a "bed." I tested this and it is not completely flat; seems it would be better if you are in a pinch. I would be able to handle it by myself, but the wife was uncomfortable. Hence the need for an actual platform...

factoryseatbed.jpg

Materials:
-3in Memory foam mattress from amazon(UK small double size, needed no trimming)
- Ross Castors 25mm black aluminum square tubing(9m worth)
- Ross Castors 25mm connectors steel core, PVC coated (various connectors, dependent on build)
- 6x Ross Castors 25mm feet for square tubing
- 4 Turnbuckles to secure to factory floor cargo hooks
- various pieces of wood for the platform

All in all it was very simple to do. I used an aluminum saw, made all the hand cuts, and hammered all the connectors together with a rubber mallet. I visualized how the rack would fit and made a rough sketch so I would know how many of each different connectors I would need.
Bar.jpg

fullframeseatup.JPG

For the wood platform, I had my local hardware store cut a piece of plywood the exact dimensions of the frame (28.5" x 44.375"). I then had them cut another piece (25" x 44.375"). I used 3 butt hinges to hinge the two together and when the back seat is folded down on itself and pushed forward to the driver seats, the hinged piece lays on top creating a continuous platform. When not wanting the sleeping setup, the platform folds up nicely to be used as a shelf.
full frame seat down.JPG

Stowed.jpg

sleepmode.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed the build! I can answer any questions if you're interested in your own build like this!

Cheers,

Zach

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Thinking of making something similar this year.

I’ve always found the ‘day bed’ setup a nice feature of the LC.

89870086-7D56-474A-8506-A7A59BB22FD3.jpeg

I used the same stuff and similar design in my platform/storage system. Mines full length though as I have no need for the rear seats

I used the same stuff and similar design in my platform/storage system. Mines full length though as I have no need for the rear seats
That’s awesome, I wanted to keep the functionality of the rear seats as my wife uses the car. That’s what’s great about the LC’s, they have so much space.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome along Zach, Great to see someone else doing adventuring with a Collie/Prado. They are great trucks and very under rated.

Back